On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:56 PM Daniel Colascione wrote: > > It's not that your solution is bad per se --- it's that it's a bespoke > solution that solves fewer problems than the general CL mechanism. Sure, > the implementation is simple, but the CL approach isn't really that hard > to implement either if we decide to do it. > Believe me, Daniel, when I tell you it's not me you need to convince ;-) We should prefer familiar solutions to unfamiliar ones unless the new > solution comes with some compelling advantage that compensates for its > novelty, and I don't see the scheme you've proposed having enough of an > advantage of the CL approach (which also allows prefix aliases) to > compensate for being novel. > I couldn't agree more. Really, I agree 100%. Anyway, if you want to play around with my shorthand.el thing, here's a dirty hack that fixes eldoc. (defun shorthand-probe (w) (cl-loop for (short-pat . long-pat) in shorthand-shorthands thereis (intern-soft (replace-regexp-in-string short-pat long-pat w)))) (defun elisp--current-symbol () (let ((c (char-after (point)))) (and c (memq (char-syntax c) '(?w ?_)) (let ((w (current-word))) (or (intern-soft w) (shorthand-probe w)))))) Stefan, can we make elisp--current-symbol use thingatpt.el so that I only have to do this trick once (since I'll have to do it for M-. , too) João