On Wed, Dec 6, 2023, 12:30 Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Daniel Pettersson > > Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 11:09:15 +0100 > > Cc: Philip Kaludercic , Dmitry Gutov < > dmitry@gutov.dev>, > > John Yates , > > Krister Schuchardt , > > Adam Porter , emacs-devel@gnu.org > > > > For those of you asking for a "gud" (gdb-mi) like interface, I have > > spent some time and effort to make that happen. I am not a gdb-mi user > > myself so I can't really tell whats parts are missing for a gdb-mi > > like experience, ontop of that I can't run gdb on my machine. > > > > I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this change. > > > > (setq dape-buffer-window-arrangment 'gud) > > (setq dape-info-hide-mode-line nil) > > > > Unfortunately there is no "real" integration with gdb-mi as I couldn't > > find a way to decouple the UI from gdb-mi. It does however greatly > > rely on gdb-table. And I took some liberties of keeping the tree > > nature of the old variable explorer. > > Thanks for working on this, but would you mind explaining in more > detail what are you trying to achieve? Recent versions of GDB support > the DAP protocol internally, so why do we need to support it in Emacs > when working with GDB as the debugging back-end? I'm probably missing > something. > I think what you're missing is that the support is the other way round. I'm recent versions of GDB you can talk to it via DAP. But that doesn't help when reusing the UI of gdb-mi.el to talk to non-gdb DAP debuggers. And that interface reuse (which would be a great thing if it were particle and clean, granted) is what Daniel is presumably trying to achieve. At least this is my understanding. João >