On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 6:45 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > will have to devise some way of turning on that new mode automatically > > I don't think that should be a prerequisite. > Why not? It would be very unusual and inconvenient for a major mode > to require that it be manually turned on to be useful. Do we have any > other major mode that needs that? Of course we do, and that's why we provide so many flexible ways to let users fix it. I don't control the file names and extensions of most of the files I work with, but I do control my Emacs's variables. > If we can automatically generate the mode cookie, we can automatically > generate any other file-local variable we might need, like > 'no-byte-compile: t' or the setting for an Xref backend. Then you'd have a proliferation of identical buffer-local variable blocks. And I know a good way to refactor that ;-) But cookie generation would only be for very tight cases, I think, if any at all. Because for files whole filenames and/or standard locations we know, such as dir-locals.el, bookmarks, ido-last, recentf, tramp-something, etc. we can just leverage the existing auto-mode-alist and magic-mode-alist. _And_ we can do always it incrementally, we _dont_ have to hurry or rush to decisions for this change to start being useful. João