On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 11:01 PM Juri Linkov wrote: > > >> bold in completions-first-difference helps to immediately see the > >> next character to type to narrow completions further. > > > > > > > > Yes, but some questions, Juri: > > > > * wouldn't any other face, say "underline", serve the same purpose? > > underline is less noticeable than bold, when used on a single character > with completions-first-difference in the "basic" completion style. > > * would you not be equally and efficiently informed of such facts if > > completions-common-part were _more_ prominent and > > completions-first-difference was _less_ prominent? > > In the "basic" completion style completions-first-difference > needs to be more prominent since it's more important to indicate > the next character to type. I understand. But if completion-common-part is super-prominent, you get more or less the same, right? It's also very easy to see the "next" character to type. > Other completion styles don't highlight completions-first-difference > at all. I'm not sure if only the "basic" completion style highlights > completions-first-difference. Eh. I removed it recently, without asking anyone, waiting for someone to complain. :-) Are you complaining? :-) If you are, I'll revert that bit. If you aren't I probably should revert it too... Anyway, I don't think it makes a lot of sense in those styles, unless you are editing inside the completion string, which is relatively rare. > Is it possible to use bold for completions-first-difference only > in the "basic" completion style, but for other completion styles > to use bold for completions-common-part? That would make some sense, yes. Perhaps we just need better names for the faces. Perhaps a new alias "completion-important-bits-for-style" for the current completion-first-difference would do fine. We probably need a better name, tho... "completion-style-hint"? "completion-emphasis"? João