On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 10:39 PM Óscar Fuentes wrote: > João Távora writes: > > > Now, I wish I could just put 'flex' (and many other things) in > > ido-mode. > > Ido has a `flex' completion style. Maybe it is a different one? > Yes it is. I created the flex completion style so it could be used across the board, in every completion frontend, not just icomplete. > Should it? This is like the recent discussion about implementing new > commands on VC: insisting on a common interface hampers diversity and > innovation. We must accept that different tools sometimes deserve > specific user interfaces. > Sure, but we're not talking about user-facing interfaces here, rather about interfaces between reusable components of Emacs. > > This > > means it doesn't work nicely for M-x, C-h f, and many many other > > completion situations. > > Ido works nicely here for those cases with just a few lines on my .emacs > and an extra package installed (ido-hacks). > But it won't work with, say SLY's capf-abiding completion table. Or Eglot's (or lsp-mode's for that matter). I think the name of the package you use to do that also says something about the quality of the integration. :-) > This indicates to me that ido is more hackable than your message > implies. I'm not denying that it could be much better on that regard, > though. > But those additions only bring it farther away from integrating into Emacs's completion facilities, and reaping those benefits. You'll have to write a package to make ido-mode use Helm's super-special matching styles, but you won't for icomplete. But I didn't mean to knock ido-mode. When I'm in a tight spot on someone else's contorted Emacs, it's still my goto M-x. It sounds like you're an ido-mode fan, so please try out fido-mode and tell me what you think is missing from it. I know a lot is, and I want to improve it. João