On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 12:26 PM Noam Postavsky wrote: > On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 at 07:55, João Távora wrote: > > > It'd probably be better if only one process was launched and asked > > (perhaps using server.el) to compile the files. > > Alternate idea: keep running a single compilation per Emac subprocess, > but tell it what to compile by sending to stdin instead of command > line args. That way, the process startup can happen asynchronously, > and when you want to compile something you can arrange to have a > subprocess ready and waiting for input. > Thanks. First, I was under the impression that stdin/stdout for emacs was not easy. Glad to hear it isn't, but how do I read from stdin? Are you suggesting I keep a pool of ready to invoke emacsen and discard them once they become "dirty"? What do you mean by asynchronous process startup? Isn't that a "stop-the-world" operation however it is invoked? João Távora