On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 5:14 PM Alan Mackenzie wrote: > > Hello, João. > > Regarding slowdown, we have to check by how much. Regarding the > > pertinence of the modificaiton, there are mode-specific modifications > > with (IMO much worse) backward-incompatible behaviour being made to > > modes like to c-mode to circumvent precisely this problem. > No. You're right. I never really understood _your_ motivation for it. Of all its serious drawbacks, the only positive effect that others -- indeed not you -- effectively pointed out is that it partially solves the "flashing" or "blinking" problem for users who don't use electric-pair-mode, smartparens, or similar solutions. In contrast, your explanations for that particular feature, which conflated syntax and font-lock considerations, were always nonsensical to me. With all sincerity, whenever I tried to follow your logic I came to a insoluble contradiction. Alas, I'm afraid my ability to follow the same arguments hasn't evolved much in the meantime, and so I very much wish not to rehash that discussion. Anyway, after recognizing the legitimacy of the aforementioned "flashing" problem (which, again, I avoid with electric-pair-mode), I took up a stuggestion by Stefan for an alternative way to solve that problem. So that there would be less justification to the behaviour-breaking changes to CC Mode, or at least so that other mode authors aren't encouraged to replicate your approach, that I personally consider harmful. João