On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:58 AM Alan Mackenzie wrote: > I'm fully aware it's a git commit hash. Funnily enough, I don't > memorise such hashes, so if you wish to draw my attention to some > commit, please have the decency to give me its date, Look I'm not being indecent, Alan. Stop this. just `git show fe06f64b`, and move on. > You're complaining that a dubious trick borne of incorrectness no longer > works. Why are you dictating what I can and can't use that to select the region between the two quotes? I write my text, fill the pargaph, select it with C-M-u C-M-SPC (nicely chained "u" and SPC) and then I C-S-% to put in the backslahes. You may well consider it a "trick" and "dubious" and "stupid", but it's the way I work. Anyway, tell me, out of curiosity, how do you do it? How do you create "this \ text, \ for \ example" ? > I think, perhaps, you encounter such broken strings extremely rarely, > and you're making a big song and dance over a relatively minor matter. No, it's pretty routine, really. Help blurbs in c++ and multi-line shell commands in Makefiles, from the top of my head. C-M-stuff is so second nature in Emacs I don't even think when I'm using it, I just expect it to work. I have user commands that use the underlying functions, too. By the way C-M-u is backward-up-list, not up-list as I stated earlier (but both are broken, I think). > can you suggest some other mechanism by > which CC Mode can create the required font-locking? If you can, and > it's workable, we all win. No, I can't, but I've asked others to chime in. I would personally do it (in fact I already do do it) via flymake-mode. If you don't like that, sorry. > C-M-u and C-M-f aren't broken. You just have unreasonable expectations > of them. If you call unreasonable expectations gained from many years of using Emacs in a variety of modes, including, up to very recently, cc-mode, then clearly there's little point in proceeding this argument. > > > No, you'd be cleaning up your code, to conform with the reality that in > > > 2019 major modes use syntax-table text properties. Features from CC > > > Mode have a habit of migrating to the Emacs core. > > It's not "my" code and I won't be bullied into making changes I don't > > agree with. > If anybody's the bully around here, it's not me. I found a minor bug in > electric-pair-mode, diagnosed it, and reported it. You believe this is a bug in e-p-m. It's certainly your right to believe that. I believe it's a bug in cc-mode. Do I have that right, too? Good. Shall I open a bug report to joust with it, or is saying so enough? I'd much rather the conflicting feature be disabled or made optional in cc-mode, so that not only e-p-m starts working but also C-M-u, C-M-f, etc. If don't agree, find a small enough solution that fixes e-p-m, propose it here, then find a consensus that overrides my opinion, it happens all the time, won't hold it against you or anyone else, good luck. -- João Távora