On Sat, May 13, 2023, 10:06 Susam Pal wrote: > Philip Kaludercic wrote: > > > > Jim Porter writes: > > > > > On 5/10/2023 11:33 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > >> Please reconsider, I think this name is very unfortunate, because it > > >> gives users no clue whatsoever about the package's purpose. > > > > > > How about something like "devil-keys"? That should make it clear that > > > the package has something to do with keys. It doesn't tell exactly > > > what it *does* with those keys, but I think a more-detailed > > > description belongs in the package description or the manual. > > > > > > Within the package itself, I think it would be fine to refer to it as > > > "Devil" (without the "-keys"), since once you're looking at the > > > package in detail, the "keys" hint isn't needed anymore. > > > > I think this is a nice idea, and a good compromise. > > I worry that choosing "devil-keys" as the package identifier is going > to make the identifier inconsistent with how Devil is packaged in > MELPA. The instructions to install Devil are going to become more > complicated than they need to be with differing instructions for MELPA > and NonGNU ELPA. > > I am not convinced that a meaningful name is necessary for this > package. Consider the popular package meow. It is a fairly recent > package that was created in 2020 and added in December 2022. It exists > with the name "meow" in NonGNU ELPA. People who do not know about it > of course do not know about it. But people who do know about it do not > get confused about what it does. I doubt anyone is going to stumble > upon these packages merely due to a meaningful name. At minimum, one > is going to run M-x package-list-packages RET and search the buffer > for strings like "modal", "key", etc. But more typically, people > encounter these packages via recommendations from other community > members. People learn about packages like this in some context where > the context makes it clear what these packages do. > > In general, I do not think packages with quirky names or names > unrelated to the purpose of the package is a problem. On the other > hand, I feel, the more the merrier! At the same time, I do acknowledge > that opinions on this matter differ. > > Devil is a package created as a result of a whimsical idea and I think > the whimsical name is befitting. In my humble opinion, an additional > suffix like "-keys" does not really add much. One still has to read > the package description to understand what it does. However adding > this suffix does take away something. It takes away simplicity, > elegance, and consistency. It introduces inconsistency between the > package identifier and the package name. It introduces inconsistency > between NonGNU ELPA and MELPA. > > I believe that using "devil" as both the package identifier and name, > combined with the updated package description mentioning its purpose > as a key sequence translation package does provide sufficient clarity > for anyone browsing the package list. > > I would like to thank everyone who has generously invested their time > and contributed to this discussion. Despite differing opinions, I > wanted to take a moment to express my thoughts on the matter. > FWIW i agree with you on all points. It's important for packages to be allowed to keep the names the developers baptized them with. João >