On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 1:47 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: João Távora > > Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 12:57:21 +0000 > > Cc: Juri Linkov , Stefan Monnier < > monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, > > emacs-devel > > > > > So maybe it's not a problem to preload cl-lib > > > with byte-compiled size 19861. > > > > Yeah, let's also preload Org while at that. And Gnus. > > > > Hmm, we could trade it in for eldoc.el which is preloaded for some > reason related to Elisp-mode but really > > doesn't need to be (last time I checked). > > If we don't preload eldoc, it will be automatically loaded once you do > "emacs -Q". So it makes no sense not to preload it, > But I can't see how ElDoc can be useful when doing lots of things from emacs -Q like adding '--batch -f batch-byte-compile' or '--batch -f elisp-flymake--batch-compile-for-flymake', to name just two. Even when just emacs -Q is used, which starts up lisp-interaction-mode, which derives from emacs-lisp-mode, it's not unthinkable that ElDoc won't be actually needed at all. So IMO ElDoc should be auto-loaded, but not preloaded. There's also another reason to do so: upgrading ElDoc via M-x package-install (note that it is a :core GNU ELPA package) is, last time I checked, made more difficult, and requires the user to restart Emacs. > unless we also display it by default. You meant "disable" instead of "display" right? João