all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: master a33e7c0286c 2/2: Disable workDoneProgress if defcustom is nil
       [not found] ` <20240330195235.E717BC1FB61@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2024-04-17 15:49   ` João Távora
From: João Távora @ 2024-04-17 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill, emacs-devel

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 7:52 PM Theodor Thornhill via Mailing list for
Emacs changes <emacs-diffs@gnu.org> wrote:

> branch: master
> commit a33e7c0286c2a9c8af1c96db42f5c0c37611c9db
> Author: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> Commit: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>
>     Disable workDoneProgress if defcustom is nil
>
>     There is no need to receive the $/progress notifications from the server
>     if we don't want to render them. Because they are effectively ignored
>     when eglot-report-progress is nil we'd rather not waste cycles on serde
>     of the messages.

I agree with this, but it has the side-effect that a user
experimenting with setting eglot-report-progress _during_ a session
won't see the effects live and needs to reconnect.  Which is perfectly
fine, IMO, but probably could be documented somewhere.  See the similar
situation eglot-events-buffer-config and its docstring for an idea.

João

* Re: master a33e7c0286c 2/2: Disable workDoneProgress if defcustom is nil
@ 2024-04-17 16:11     ` Theodor Thornhill
From: Theodor Thornhill @ 2024-04-17 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Távora; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Re: master a33e7c0286c 2/2: Disable workDoneProgress if defcustom is nil
@ 2024-04-17 16:22       ` João Távora
From: João Távora @ 2024-04-17 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 5:11 PM Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2024 17:49, João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 7:52 PM Theodor Thornhill via Mailing list for
> Emacs changes <emacs-diffs@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > branch: master
> > commit a33e7c0286c2a9c8af1c96db42f5c0c37611c9db
> > Author: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> > Commit: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> >
> >     Disable workDoneProgress if defcustom is nil
> >
> >     There is no need to receive the $/progress notifications from the server
> >     if we don't want to render them. Because they are effectively ignored
> >     when eglot-report-progress is nil we'd rather not waste cycles on serde
> >     of the messages.
>
> I agree with this, but it has the side-effect that a user
> experimenting with setting eglot-report-progress _during_ a session
> won't see the effects live and needs to reconnect.  Which is perfectly
> fine, IMO, but probably could be documented somewhere.  See the similar
> situation eglot-events-buffer-config and its docstring for an idea.
>
> João
>
> Thanks! I'll document this.

Cool.  I'll leave it up to you to also add it to /etc/EGLOT-NEWS.  It is
a (tiny) behaviour change, after all.

João