On Wed, Nov 18, 2020, 05:58 Protesilaos Stavrou wrote: > On 2020-11-17, 16:30 +0000, João Távora wrote: > > >> [...] > >> > >> just to point out that the "?" is easy to get. > >> > >> On 'emacs -Q': > >> > >> (require 'flymake) > >> (setq flymake-start-on-flymake-mode nil) > >> > >> Now visit an '*.el' file. Activate 'flymake-mode' and check the > >> modeline. > > > > Indeed, that's not a misconfiguration. But I'd say it's an edge case: > > normally one does want to start checking when enabling flymake, I just > > kept that option there for backward compatibility. I personally see no > > use for it, do you? > > The fact that the option exists means that some people might be using > it. Is there any immediate downside to keeping it around? Personally, > I am fine with any decision you may take and agree that it is not what > one would normally expect when activating 'flycheck-mode'. > > What I wanted to suggest when I opened this issue is merely this: if > this "edge case" option remains present, please consider reviewing the > face it uses (with 'mode-line-emphasis' being more appropriate than > 'mode-line'). > Yes, I am totally fine with changing the face, or using some other character to indicate this situation. I just don't see it as super priority because it's an odd setting to have, in my opinion, but patches welcome. João >