On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:59 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > There is no "Lisp program", only "Lisp data". A program is Lisp data > that makes sense as a program. Yes, and your last sentence describes exactly what I like to call a "Lisp program". Let's just agree to give it that name, OK. So that it "exists" (in fact a large part of Emacs is made up of the stuff). > The argument is not about the need for a fix, it's about where the fix > should be. Ideally, the byte-compiler should have got its act > together and not attempted to produce code out of those files. > Failing that, we need to help the byte compiler DTRT. It's been shown many times the problem is not exclusive to the byte-compiler. It's merely an example of a tool that only makes exclusive sense for "Lisp programs", or "data that makes sense as a program" as you put it. > > This was also already said several times. > > By you, exclusively, right? Or by someone else I missed? > Also by Andreas and by Richard. Not true of Richard: he said "All code is data, but only some data is code". That is exactly the distinction I am making. João