On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 5:55 PM Dmitry Gutov wrote: > On 05.02.2020 17:27, João Távora wrote: > > With the original problem fixed, Dmitry came to what can be seen as a > > UI deficiency in fido-mode. > > Not exactly. There have been several issues discussed in this report, > and it's really a problem that the user can't easily input something > that completing-read would allow. > So isn't that a UI deficiency in fido-mode? Mind you I'm calling it a deficiency because it can't by definition be a bug. fido-mode is a new thing and I _made_ the spec for it. Of course, I like your suggestions for improvement (as I have showed here). > A new bug report has arrived since: > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39407 It is now > erroneously marked as fixed because it has been merged with this one. We > should undo that. > > The proposed workaround (using M-j) is itself problematic since it > allows you to input whatever even when a match is required. So there are > bug here. > Not sure that is a problem with fido-mode. I think it's reasonable for a completer to bind exit-minibuffer, or to have something that allows it to exit with whatever. exit-minibuffer doesn't honour require-match (maybe it shouldn't) but it is the only such thing that allows any kind of workaround, as far as I am aware. So this isn't a problem with fido-mode. When there is something else to fill this gap -- respect require-match and still allow to exit easily with arbitrary input when that is nil -- then fido-mode will use it. > > After analysing this with Stefan, we arrived > > at the conclusion that it was actually a problem in some longstanding > > minibuffer.el workings. > > Not exactly. At least, icomplete-mode seems to work okay in both of > these respects (please correct me if I'm wrong). > Doesn't icomplete-force-complete-and-exit have a problem, too? I was under the impression that it did, from reading the above thread. > > Maybe, Dmitry, we could revert to the earlier proposal with the new > > variable and somehow deprecate/discourage use of the one you're > > trying to change? That should be safe and bring all the benefits of > > your change, right? > > Yes, we can do that. I'll make the new variable private, so we can rid > of it quickly on master. > Great! Disregard the previous discussion if you want, just do this, and move on. João