On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 3:03 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > No, I wouldn't call it "extension", either. I meant to teach > elisp-mode to recognize files that have only ELisp data structures in > them, and adapting itself to such files. The "recognizing" part of that is close to impossible, in the general case. The file can be ill-formed, for example. And think of the false positives. Most of this mail is valid elisp syntax, for example (though obviously not a elisp program). > The latter [the major mode] would be in-line with our other major > modes, which in most cases turn themselves on automatically, given > some tell-tale indications in the file's contents or its name. But we always do it on a "best-effort" basis. Users, organization etc, then use auto-mode-list, mode cokkies, dir-locals or even magic-mode-alist to plug those holes. Just because we introduce a major mode, we're not obliged to be super-smart and turn in on whenever possible. Of course we can study your super-recognizer-heuristic later on, but that's a completely orthogonal problem: to follow your bellic-ornithological metaphor, it's akin to unleashing full-scale war on those poor sparrows. Even if you decimate them, some will survive, and you'll have killed many other birds in the process. For now, just give everyone a slingshot and be done with it. João