On Fri, Aug 20, 2021, 12:47 Ergus wrote: >No-one ever made it a customized variable. I dislike too many customize > >variables, > That's the emacs way ;) > No, it's the custom.el way, which is a part of emacs, and which many users like. Many others don't. >but I don't oppose this one. > > > But if a variable can be safely changed by the user, then it must be a > custom, No. Not necessarily. There is, to the best of my understanding, no such orthodoxy in Emacs. Maybe some other maintainer can correct me. otherwise the variable is intended for internal use > right? So the "good" users assume they shouldn't touch it. > No. The emacs user manual prescribes other ways to change variables, on occasion. There is no such orthodoxy. Putting -- in a variable's prefix is the way to mark it as intended for internal use. This is why the initial attempt implementation I did for > icomplete-vertical used to check if there were newlines in > icomplete-separator; to respect somehow the user preferences and not add > new customs. > In my experience, that kind of complexity to try to achieve custom.el purity is always unwarranted. >Users can set non-customizable variables > But are harder to discover. The defcustom infrastructure and the customize-* functions help us, > There are many means to discover variables and user visible structures. That has been discussed at length here recently, so I won't repeat that discussion. João >