On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 8:03 PM Dmitry Gutov wrote: > On 23.04.2020 21:50, Yuan Fu wrote: > > but if it’s in ELPA, you need to take care of commit message formats, > submit a patch and wait for someone to review & commit the patch > > This part is not really true. > > You don't really need to worry about commit message format in ELPA, nor > wait for code review (if you're the author of the package). > However, in projects like Eglot, I do review stuff and do ask people to follow the GNU Commit message format. Not always, I will do it for "newbie" committers often, not to burden them with the red tape, then add a "Co-authored-by:" cookie to the commit message. (In fact I just did that for another GNU Elpa package also hosted on Github, darkroom.el) If someone is serious about contributing, I ask them to learn the format and I don't see any resistance. Anyway, just as a data point, I don't think Eglot has shortage of committers because of the copyright issue (everyone I've asked has eventually assigned to Emacs), the commit message format, or the review process. I've turned down a few contributions before, because I didn't like them technically, but they eventually mutate into valid alternatives that do make it in. João