all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] ImageMagick Support on Windows
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 11:27:36 +0200	[thread overview]

> Can you run this command under GDB, and see exactly where it crashes,
> and why?

I, personally, usually don't use GDB to find out causes of crashing on
Windows, i.e. I either infer them from the code or find it out through
logging facilities. The main reason why I almost never use GDB on Windows
is the following output:

0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

which actually conveys no information at all. The crash often goes deep to
some Windows system DLLs and therefore cannot be traced by GDB. This is
exactly the case this time once again. We cannot rely on GDB now...

I'm not sure I see where image.el needs to load image libraries.

Could you point out where you think that happens?  (Running temacs
> under GDB will surely tell, btw.)  If you rename the ImageMagick DLLs
> to some other names, or remove them from PATH, does the Emacs build
> succeed?

It should not necessarily load images. It can do some initialization stuff
involving ImageMagick calls. For instance, I have already found that
commenting out:

(imagemagick-register-types)

in the very bottom of "image.el" prevents the crash and "temacs.exe"
continues to function properly.

Are you sure that you have pointed out all the spots that should be patched
and that we didn't miss any of them? Please, since you know the internals
better, think of what we could miss patching, it really feels like a zero
pointer somewhere or something alike. In any case, now you know that it all
starts from the "(imagemagick-register-types)" call.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for 2 weeks vacation, so I can continue only when I'm
back. I'm still available today for discussions.