A smidge more information at: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8058954.html?sid=5e043f49e6dc6fdf007a11fc2fa4fad5 I wish I had time to debug the issue, but unfortunately I do not. I'm taking the "Could be a good time to get paranoid" advice... wiping, rebuilding, and moving on. D. Paddy On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Glenn Morris wrote: > d paddy wrote: > > > If the cable to the router is disconnected then emacs hangs. > > I can't reproduce this. If I start Emacs, then turn off my internet > connection, Emacs continues to work fine. > > > This is a bug because emacs should not be spying on people (phoneing > > home). > > I can assure you Emacs doesn't phone home. We don't care what you and > Emacs get up to. :) > > You can of course install add-ons that do anything. And you can use > Emacs to access remote files and servers. Any of these things could > cause a hang if your connection drop. Otherwise the only issue in this > area I know of is the startup hang due to domain name issues, documented > in PROBLEMS. > > Unless you can provide a reproducible recipe starting from emacs -Q, > this report is unlikely to lead anywhere. You could also try attaching a > debugger to Emacs to see what it is waiting for. >