all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eshell clear
@ 2015-06-24  6:49 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2015-06-24  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
this should be trivial, but how can I clear an eshell buffer
(something similar to 'clear' command in many shells)?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: eshell clear
@ 2015-06-24 14:33 ` Sauli Heinola
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sauli Heinola @ 2015-06-24 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

* Luca Ferrari <fluca1978-97W46K3QqA41GQ1Ptb7lUw@public.gmane.org>:
> Hi,
> this should be trivial, but how can I clear an eshell buffer
> (something similar to 'clear' command in many shells)?

You can write a function to do what you want.

(defun eshell/clear ()
      "Clear the eshell buffer."
      (interactive)
      (let ((inhibit-read-only t))
        (erase-buffer)))

It's a bad trip but I'll take it.

* Re: eshell clear
@ 2015-06-24 23:33 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-06-24 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> Hi, this should be trivial, but how can I clear an
> eshell buffer (something similar to 'clear' command
> in many shells)?

I don't know, but you don't need that. You get crazy
clearing the screen all the time. Accept there are old
commands and data there, learn to focus on the new
task still. It helps :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: eshell clear
@ 2015-06-25  2:17 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2015-06-25  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> this should be trivial, but how can I clear an eshell buffer
> (something similar to 'clear' command in many shells)?

There is C-c C-o eshell-kill-output which clears the output of the
last command.  Not perfect but it has been standard for a long time.

[I don't usually use eshell but I use the regular shell mode all of the
time.  In the regular shell if I want to clear the buffer I run C-x h
to mark the entire buffer and C-w to cut all of it and then Enter to
get a prompt back again.]

Bob

* Re: eshell clear
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-07-03 11:54 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2015-07-03 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> Hi,
> this should be trivial, but how can I clear an eshell buffer
> (something similar to 'clear' command in many shells)?

C-c C-t will truncate the buffer to leave just
eshell-buffer-maximum-lines lines.

Based on that, you can do :
(defun luca/eshell-clear-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((eshell-buffer-maximum-lines 0))
    (eshell-truncate-buffer)))

--
Nico.

* Re: eshell clear
       [not found] <mailman.5549.1435128563.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-07-03 13:11 ` Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2015-07-03 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 24/06/15 08:49, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi,
> this should be trivial, but how can I clear an eshell buffer
> (something similar to 'clear' command in many shells)?

In terminal emulators, `clear` does not erase the content of the window;
`clear` just moves the current line to the top of the window. In Emacs,
this can be accomplished with:

C-1 C-l