all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [OT] book advice
@ 2013-09-16 19:43 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-09-16 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
what do you think could be a good emacs book, if any, to suggest to a
friend that would start using emacs as a software development
environment and unix editor/shell replacement?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: [OT] book advice
@ 2013-09-16 19:48 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-09-16 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> Hi,
> what do you think could be a good emacs book, if any, to suggest to a
> friend that would start using emacs as a software development
> environment and unix editor/shell replacement?

How about:

    (info "Emacs Lisp Intro")

Or

   (help-with-tutorial)

–Rasmus

--
I hear there's rumors on the, uh, Internets. . .

* Re: [OT] book advice
@ 2013-09-17  5:47 ` MBR
From: MBR @ 2013-09-17  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Try http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html and
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eintr/.

    Mark

On 9/16/2013 3:43 PM, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi,
> what do you think could be a good emacs book, if any, to suggest to a
> friend that would start using emacs as a software development
> environment and unix editor/shell replacement?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

* Re: [OT] book advice
@ 2013-09-17  5:50   ` MBR
From: MBR @ 2013-09-17  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Also see, http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596006488.do.

    Mark

@ 2013-09-17 15:38     ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-09-17 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: MBR; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM, MBR <mbr@arlsoft.com> wrote:
> Also see, http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596006488.do.

Uhm...I don't think that is covering "software development", rather
the basic of Emacs usage.

> Try http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html and
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eintr/.

Of course, but same as above.

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: [OT] book advice
@ 2013-10-06  4:44 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2013-10-06  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'd start with the embedded tutorial.  That should be enough for a
simple Unix editor.

For software, I'd start by browsing the menus to get an idea of what
emacs can do, then slowly convert to the key chords.

On 9/16/2013 3:43 PM, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi,
> what do you think could be a good emacs book, if any, to suggest to a
> friend that would start using emacs as a software development
> environment and unix editor/shell replacement?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

* RE: [OT] book advice
@ 2013-10-06  4:55   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-10-06  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Goldman, help-gnu-emacs

> I'd start with the embedded tutorial.  That should be enough for a
> simple Unix editor.
>
> For software, I'd start by browsing the menus to get an idea of what
> emacs can do, then slowly convert to the key chords.

+1 to starting with menus and then branching out to keyboard key
sequences.  Menus can help you explore Emacs features, and the menu
items also indicate the corresponding keys.

And LaCarte can help you explore the menus (using the keyboard),
especially when used with Icicles (substring matching etc.).

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LaCarte