all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* trivial regexp problem
@ 2013-01-22 10:52 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-22 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
I need a little hint on a regexp that is not working within lookig-at:
I want to recognize any label of the form "label:" so I tested the
following against re-search-forward "^[ \t]*.*:" and it works.
However, the same into a looking-at call is not working, so how can I
find the following regexp?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: trivial regexp problem
@ 2013-01-22 11:00 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-22 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Luca,

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> I need a little hint on a regexp that is not working within lookig-at:
> I want to recognize any label of the form "label:" so I tested the
> following against re-search-forward "^[ \t]*.*:" and it works.
> However, the same into a looking-at call is not working, so how can I
> find the following regexp?

It does work for me.

label:

(looking-at "^[ \t]*.*:")
 => t

--
 Bastien

* Re: trivial regexp problem
@ 2013-01-22 16:27   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sgrunt...I should have tried it into the eshell, There was another
error, not tied to the regexp, that of course is working.

Thanks,
Luca

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi Luca,
>
> Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:
>
>> I need a little hint on a regexp that is not working within lookig-at:
>> I want to recognize any label of the form "label:" so I tested the
>> following against re-search-forward "^[ \t]*.*:" and it works.
>> However, the same into a looking-at call is not working, so how can I
>> find the following regexp?
>
> It does work for me.
>
> label:
>
> (looking-at "^[ \t]*.*:")
>  => t
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: trivial regexp problem
       [not found] <mailman.18061.1358852367.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-01-22 16:44 ` Barry Margolin
       [not found]   ` <mailman.18090.1358877053.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Barry Margolin @ 2013-01-22 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.18061.1358852367.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I need a little hint on a regexp that is not working within lookig-at:
> I want to recognize any label of the form "label:" so I tested the
> following against re-search-forward "^[ \t]*.*:" and it works.
> However, the same into a looking-at call is not working, so how can I
> find the following regexp?

What's the purpose of [ \t]* at the beginning of the regexp? Since it's
immediately followed by .*, which matches anything, the regexp will
match whether or not the line begins with whitespace.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: trivial regexp problem
@ 2013-01-22 17:50   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.18090.1358877053.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-22 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Margolin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.01.2013 um 17:44 schrieb Barry Margolin:

> Since it's
> immediately followed by .*, which matches anything, the regexp will
> match whether or not the line begins with whitespace.

Yes, it not only matches the beginning of every line, it also matches the beginning of every empty line…

--
Greetings

  Pete

My sister opened a computer store in Hawaii.  She sells C shells down by the seashore.

* Re: trivial regexp problem
       [not found]   ` <mailman.18090.1358877053.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-01-22 20:02     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2013-01-22 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.18090.1358877053.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 22.01.2013 um 17:44 schrieb Barry Margolin:
>
> > Since it's
> > immediately followed by .*, which matches anything, the regexp will
> > match whether or not the line begins with whitespace.
>
> Yes, it not only matches the beginning of every line, it also matches the
> beginning of every empty lineŠ

That's not an issue, because the regexp includes ":". So it only matches
on lines that contain a colon.

But there's no difference between:

^[ \t]*.*:

and:

^.*:

There *would* be a difference if you used grouping, e.g.:

^\([ \t]*\)\(.*\):

because this allows you to extract the whitespace prefix and the part of
the line after it.

--

@ 2013-01-23  7:43       ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-23  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Correct! Since I'm not interested in separating spaces from other
parts of the string I fixed the regexp to "^[ \t]*\\(.+\\):[ \t\n]*"
(at least one letter before the colon must be present).

Thanks guys!