all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* standard keyboard commands not working?
@ 2013-01-16 22:46 Emanuela Pompei
From: Emanuela Pompei @ 2013-01-16 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am using the latest Aquamacs (2.4) on a MacBook Air
running Mountain Lion, version 10.8.2
I am trying to use the kill rectangle command (^X R K), but
the command just doesn't work.
The ^ SPC to mark is.
I also tried with the M-x line command: the mark is set, but the
command kill-rectangle is not answered. Aquamacs tells me I should
use the ^X R K and nothing happens.
I have found nothing about this in the FAQs..do you have any idea
what I could do?

Thank you very much,

     Emanuela Pompei

Act like you will be  | Emanuela Pompei
dying tomorrow;     | Paranal SciOps;
think like you will,   | E. S.O.
be living forever     | Casilla 19001,
                              | Santiago 19, Chile;
                              | tel:  +56 2 4633268;
                              | fax: +56 2 4633101

* Re: standard keyboard commands not working?
       [not found] <mailman.17638.1358376511.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-01-18  7:56 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found] ` <d96dd5b497fa4a6581db4b8cf1c13f78@HQHTC1.ads.eso.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-01-18  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Emanuela Pompei

Hi,

dunno if I understood you right...

So, you have set the mark (in a buffer that is not read only), moved the
cursor to somewhere else to define a rectangle, and hit C-x r k, and the
rectangle was not killed, right?  No, that should work.  Do you get any
message or error?

Sorry I can't help more.  Anyone here who uses Aquamacs?

Regards,

Michael.

@ 2013-01-19  1:14   ` Emanuela Pompei
       [not found]   ` <mailman.17862.1358558052.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuela Pompei @ 2013-01-19  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Michael,

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:56 AM, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> dunno if I understood you right...
>
> So, you have set the mark (in a buffer that is not read only), moved the
> cursor to somewhere else to define a rectangle, and hit C-x r k, and the
> rectangle was not killed, right?  No, that should work.  Do you get any
> message or error?

what you described is exactly what happens. No error message, nothing: just
ignore the instruction of killing the rectangle.
Looking through forums, the general advice I found was to switch to gnu
emacs
compiled for Snow Leopard, which I did.
However all standard commands were working on my former MacBook, which Snow
Leopard: the problem seems related to 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

Cheers,

     Emanuela

@ 2013-01-19  3:28     ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2013-01-19  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Same OS (MacOSX 10.8) and Aquamacs Version here.  C-x r k works as
expected.

~jens

@ 2013-01-19 10:52     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-19 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuela Pompei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.01.2013 um 02:14 schrieb Emanuela Pompei:

> what you described is exactly what happens. No error message, nothing: just
> ignore the instruction of killing the rectangle.

I remember a similar situation I had with the AppKit variant (kind of successor of Carbon Emacs). C-x was swallowed, it had to be typed twice to be recognised by Emacs. The cause was, as the creator of the AppKit variant, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu, found, that I had NS key bindings set up for the normal Apple applications that contained ESC – and also some starting with C-x (^X in Apple syntax, see for example http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/Site/System%20Bindings.html, http://www.dannyadam.com/blog/2012/02/changing-mac-key-bindings/), oriented on what I was used in Emacs. Maybe this is also the case for you?

If you're able to build GNU Emacs yourself I'd recommend to build and use AppKit Emacs! It's based on the sources of either GNU Emacs 23.4 or 24.2 or the pre-release GNU Emacs 24.2.92 (becoming 24.3) and needs a large set patches contained in an extra archive.

The pre-release GNU Emacs sources can be found here: /ftp:anonymous@alpha.gnu.org:/gnu/emacs/pretest (TRAMP syntax);
the AppKit patches can be found here:   /ftp:anonymous@ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp:/emacs (TRAMP syntax).

My way of building AppKit Emacs is:

	gtar xf <possible path to>emacs-24.2.92.tar.xz
	mv emacs-24.2.92 emacs-24.2.92-mac-3.92
	gtar xf <possible path to>emacs-24.2.92-mac-3.92.tar.gz
	cd emacs-24.2.92-mac-3.92
	patch -p 0 < patch-mac

Then check which options configure offers and configure particularly with the -with-mac option! Then make and sudo make install. (From the same patched sources you can easily build the X11 and the NS/almost Aquamacs variants.) The AppKit variant is very stable in every release and is very Mac like, being able to use the graphics libraries of the system, including SVG support (which the NS or Aquamacs variants don't have), and being able to support all input methods and scripts and fonts (check out C-h H!).

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _