all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-09 21:14 Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-09 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

I could use some help debugging an annoying problem.  Sometimes when I
start emacs, the first character I type is not inserted, but rather,
causes the screen to flash.  I can't remember if this is a regular
terminal beep or something that emacs is doing (I'll reply back when I
can reproduce it again and notice it).  After that, I can type
normally. It's hard to reproduce consistently, but I've noticed that
it happens almost every time I edit a commit message after making a
commit in a git repository (but not every time).  I've also noticed it
in other places.  I think it might only happen when editing new files,
but I'm not sure.

What are some good ways to debug this?  Has anyone seen this before,
and maybe can suggest what might be causing it.  My .emacs and
.emacs.d are at https://github.com/asmeurer/dotfiles if anyone's
interested.

Final note: I use emacsclient with emacs daemon, if that might make a
difference.  As far as version goes, I am using a very recent build
from the development repo of emacs.

Aaron Meurer

* RE: First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-09 21:23 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-03-09 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Aaron Meurer', help-gnu-emacs

> I could use some help debugging an annoying problem.  Sometimes when I
> start emacs,

When you start or later?  Further on you seem to suggest it happens well after
startup.

> the first character I type is not inserted, but rather,
> causes the screen to flash....
> it happens almost every time I edit a commit message after making a
> commit in a git repository (but not every time).

This probably won't help, but have you checked that Emacs is not expecting you
to answer something like `y-or-n-p'? If you type something it doesn't want that
will result in a beep (visible or audible).

* Re: First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-09 22:03   ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-09 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> I could use some help debugging an annoying problem.  Sometimes when I
>> start emacs,
>
> When you start or later?  Further on you seem to suggest it happens well after
> startup.

Ah, what I mean is, when I start emacsclient, i.e., when I open a
file.  If I could figure out how to reproduce this consistently, I
could check if it happens with regular emacs or not.

>> the first character I type is not inserted, but rather,
>> causes the screen to flash....
>> it happens almost every time I edit a commit message after making a
>> commit in a git repository (but not every time).
>
> This probably won't help, but have you checked that Emacs is not expecting you
> to answer something like `y-or-n-p'? If you type something it doesn't want that
> will result in a beep (visible or audible).

I never notice any.  I usually only notice this because I start typing
and the first character is not entered (hence why this is so
annoying).  But I don't think there's anything like that, or at least
not visible.  I've noticed that emacsclient doesn't always show
everything (for example, if there's a problem in my init file, regular
emacs will tell me about the problem, but emacsclient, even with the
first start of the daemon, will not).

@ 2012-03-10  7:26 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-03-10  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Final note: I use emacsclient with emacs daemon, if that might make a
> difference.  As far as version goes, I am using a very recent build
> from the development repo of emacs.

"emacsclient" is the cause.  I can reproduce this, by doing
`emacsclient -c -e '(gnus)'`, when I have no X frames open at the
time.  Sometimes can also be reproduced even when an X frame is
already there, though not always.

I think this is an ancient bug.  Noticed this at the time I began
using emacsclient.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-10 20:47   ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-10 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XeCycle; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Good to know it's not just me then :)

I'm not surprised that it's a bug with emacsclient.  emacsclient has a
bunch of little quirky bugs where one client will interfere with
another and things like that.

I can say that this has nothing to do with X.  I compiled emacs with
--with-x=no, and use it entirely in the terminal.

Is there an existing emacs issue about this, or should I report it?
Where is the emacs issue tracker even located?

I just discovered how to reproduce this consistantly.  If I close
emacs using M-x save-buffers-kill-emacs and restart emacs client (I
use emacsclient -a "" -nw file), it always does this with the file I
open.  It does it in cases other than this too, but assuming it's all
the same bug, I should be able to help debug it using this fact.

There is no text printed in the info buffer, except for the standard
"When done with a buffer, type C-x #" before I start typing.

Finally, is there a way to consistently work-around this?  Or maybe
someone industrious can just fix the bug and get it over with.

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-03-10 20:50     ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-10 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XeCycle; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

OK, I just figured out that it has something to do with my .emacs
file.  I started the daemon with -Q and the bug didn't happen, but
without -Q, it does happen.  I'll see if I can't bisect the problem.

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-03-11  3:40       ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-11  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XeCycle; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hmm, well, I commented out all of .emacs, and set aside .emacs.d, but
it still does it.  So I'm confused.  What else happens with -Q that I
can look for?

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-03-11  9:02         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-03-11  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Meurer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, XeCycle

Am 11.3.2012 um 04:40 schrieb Aaron Meurer:

> What else happens with -Q that I can look for?

There is also a site-run-file.

--
Greetings

  Pete

No matter which way you ride, it's uphill and against the wind.
				– First Law of Bicycling

* Re: First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-11 17:53           ` Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 2012-03-11 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, XeCycle

On Mar 10, 2012, at 11:02 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

Am 11.3.2012 um 04:40 schrieb Aaron Meurer:

What else happens with -Q that I can look for?

There is also a site-run-file.

--no-site-file would eliminate that variable, correct?

Matt McClure
http://matthewlmcclure.com
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/profile/matthewlmcclure

* Re: First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-11 20:56             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-03-11 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt McClure; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, XeCycle

Am 11.3.2012 um 18:53 schrieb Matt McClure:

> --no-site-file would eliminate that variable, correct?

And only this file. As you wrote your own init file, made non-existing with -q, is OK, so it could be the system's init file that causes beeping. But it can also be that somewhere in the site Lisp directory inappropriate files are lying around. Developing GNU Emacs 24 has more specific options:

--no-init-file, -q          load neither ~/.emacs nor default.el
--no-site-file              do not load site-start.el
--no-site-lisp, -nsl        do not add site-lisp directories to load-path
--quick, -Q                 equivalent to:
                              -q --no-site-file --no-site-lisp --no-splash

Anyway, you could use this snippet to record in *Messages* buffer the files that are loaded. This has to be executed at first, maybe directly from the command line:

	(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
	  (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Loade now: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))

--
Greetings

  Pete

Give a man a fish, and you've fed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've depleted the lake.

* Re: First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-11 21:09             ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-11 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt McClure; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, XeCycle

I set aside ~/.emacs, ~/.emacs.d, and ~/.emacs-places (the only
~/.emacs* files I have), and started with emacs --daemon
--no-site-file --debug-init, and it still exhibits the problem.
Starting with -Q doesn't exhibit the problem.

Is it possible that --debug-init doesn't actually show me what I want
because by the time I open a client, the debugging info is gone?  I've
noticed that problem before, e.g., when I had a syntax error in
.emacs.  Maybe it's "trying" to show me something, and that's what is
taking up the first keypress.  I know very little about how emacs
works internally, though, so I'm just shooting in the dark here.

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-03-11 21:33               ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-11 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, XeCycle

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 11.3.2012 um 18:53 schrieb Matt McClure:
>
>> --no-site-file would eliminate that variable, correct?
>
> And only this file. As you wrote your own init file, made non-existing with -q, is OK, so it could be the system's init file that causes beeping. But it can also be that somewhere in the site Lisp directory inappropriate files are lying around. Developing GNU Emacs 24 has more specific options:
>
> --no-init-file, -q          load neither ~/.emacs nor default.el
> --no-site-file              do not load site-start.el
> --no-site-lisp, -nsl        do not add site-lisp directories to load-path
> --quick, -Q                 equivalent to:
>                              -q --no-site-file --no-site-lisp --no-splash

This is it!  --no-splash removes the problem.  Apparently, the splash
screen is "loaded" even though I can't see it, and takes up the first
keypress.

Fortunately, this is easy to work-around.  I just have to disable the
splash screen in my .emacs file.  Any idea how to do this btw (I
didn't find a setting for it in M-x customize)?

Should I M-x report-emacs-bug this?

Aaron Meruer

@ 2012-03-11 21:43                 ` Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 2012-03-11 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Meurer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, XeCycle

M-x apropos RET splash.*screen RET

@ 2012-03-11 22:39                   ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-11 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt McClure; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, XeCycle

The answer is (setq inhibit-splash-screen t) (in your .emacs file), in
case anyone is interested.

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-03-11 23:45                 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-03-11 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Meurer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, XeCycle

Am 11.3.2012 um 22:33 schrieb Aaron Meurer:

> Should I M-x report-emacs-bug this?

Yes, I think so. When the splash screen is invisible, did you compile GNU Emacs without support for some graphics file formats? Then GNU Emacs should be clever enough to not try to show it.

When you execute the command a new window opens reporting the configuration.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

* RE: First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-11 23:47                     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-03-11 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Aaron Meurer', 'Matt McClure'
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, 'XeCycle'

> The answer is (setq inhibit-splash-screen t) (in your .emacs file), in
> case anyone is interested.
>
> >> Should I M-x report-emacs-bug this?

It sounds like you should.  IIUC, this is not coming from any code that you
loaded.

If not using `--no-splash' or setting `inhibit-splash-screen' (or
`inhibit-startup-screen', presumably) to non-nil causes a beep, it sounds like
something is wrong with Emacs itself.

Users should not have to guess about such behavior, as you apparently had to.
If the beep is intensional then it obviously didn't convey the message it was
supposed to in this case.

But before filing a bug, perhaps read over `(emacs) Entering Emacs' once, just
to be sure it doesn't speak to this explicitly.

* Re: First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-12  0:11                       ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-12  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, XeCycle

It sounds to me like this shouldn't happen.  I remember when I started
using emacs with an older version, I could dismiss the splash screen
just by typing text, and it would jump automatically to the scratch
buffer.  This no longer seems to be the case, though.  Now, it just
beeps when I type in the splash screen (unless I type enter while over
a link).

To answer the other question, I compiled emacs with --with-x=no, and
use it entirely in the terminal.

I tried sending a bug report, and it claimed that it sent it, but I am
skeptical that it worked, because I used my email address and it never
asked me for authentication.  Is there any way to check?  What would
you recommend setting my message-send-mail-function to?

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-03-12  0:31                         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-03-12  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Meurer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, XeCycle

Am 12.3.2012 um 01:11 schrieb Aaron Meurer:

> I tried sending a bug report, and it claimed that it sent it, but I am
> skeptical that it worked, because I used my email address and it never
> asked me for authentication.

That's OK. Otherwise users would be discouraged to send bug reports.

http://debbugs.gnu.org/ ?

--
Greetings

  Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

* Re: First character beeps screen sometimes
@ 2012-03-12  2:15                           ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-12  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, XeCycle

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 12.3.2012 um 01:11 schrieb Aaron Meurer:
>
>> I tried sending a bug report, and it claimed that it sent it, but I am
>> skeptical that it worked, because I used my email address and it never
>> asked me for authentication.
>
> That's OK. Otherwise users would be discouraged to send bug reports.

I was under the assumption that gmail's smtp server would not allow
emails to be sent without authentication, but I guess not.

Anyway, this is bug #10996.

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-03-13  3:01                 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-03-13  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> This is it!  --no-splash removes the problem.

Unfortunately, it doesn't for me.  I've already set
inhibit-startup-screen to t, but it doesn't take effect.

--

@ 2012-03-13  3:58                   ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-03-13  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XeCycle; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I just came upon a new problem where disabling the startup screen
causes emacsclient to freeze at startup.  So I had to remove it.
Hopefully it is intermittent (I'll try putting it back later when I
have the time to debug it).

Is what I said indeed the correct way to disable the startup screen?
I've noticed that sometimes random emacs found via Google searches can
be incorrect, especially given the global nature of the elisp system.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM, XeCycle <XeCycle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> This is it!  --no-splash removes the problem.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't for me.  I've already set
> inhibit-startup-screen to t, but it doesn't take effect.

So maybe you have something else that is coming up at startup and
eating your first keypress.  I guess you should debug just as I did
with all the nuanced flags to emacs when starting the daemon discussed
above.

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-03-13  4:15                   ` Yaoyuan
From: Yaoyuan @ 2012-03-13  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XeCycle; +Cc: Gnu Emacs Help Maillist

try to avoid load your emacs init file, is that ok ? and what's your version of emacs and os :)?

Send from Yaoyuan's  cellphone

在 2012-3-13,11:01,XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> 写道:

@ 2012-03-14 11:29                     ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-03-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)