all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient and Mac OS's clipboard
@ 2012-04-25 19:38 michaelsbradleyjr
From: michaelsbradleyjr @ 2012-04-25 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm running the latest pretest from the "Emacs For Mac OS X" website (Emacs-pretest-24.0.95-universal-10.6.8.dmg) on Mac OS version 10.7.

If I launch Emacs in a standalone fashion (i.e. double-click on Emacs.app), the editor's kill ring and the OS's clipboard "communicate" with each other such that I can copy/paste back and forth between Emacs and other applications.

However, if I launch Emacs in --daemon mode and then fire up `emacsclient -c`, I find that the client's kill ring does not "communicate" with the OS's clipboard, and it's seemingly impossible to copy/paste between Emacs and other applications. A workaround is to use some intermediate text file, which I have open in say Emacs and TextEdit, but obviously that's not a great solution.

I'm hunting for a fix to this problem (if one exists) but am coming up short with google searches, et al.

Thanks for your help.

* Re: emacsclient and Mac OS's clipboard
@ 2012-04-27 21:37 ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-04-27 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: michaelsbradleyjr; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM,  <michaelsbradleyjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running the latest pretest from the "Emacs For Mac OS X" website (Emacs-pretest-24.0.95-universal-10.6.8.dmg) on Mac OS version 10.7.
>
> If I launch Emacs in a standalone fashion (i.e. double-click on Emacs.app), the editor's kill ring and the OS's clipboard "communicate" with each other such that I can copy/paste back and forth between Emacs and other applications.
>
> However, if I launch Emacs in --daemon mode and then fire up `emacsclient -c`, I find that the client's kill ring does not "communicate" with the OS's clipboard, and it's seemingly impossible to copy/paste between Emacs and other applications. A workaround is to use some intermediate text file, which I have open in say Emacs and TextEdit, but obviously that's not a great solution.

This doesn't really solve the problem, but it is possible to avoid
using intermediate files by using the pbpaste and pbcopy command line
tools and Emacs's build-in command line functions.  For example, if
you type M-| pbcopy, it will move the selected text in emacs to the
Mac OS X clipboard. C-u 1 M-! pbpaste will paste.

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-04-27 21:38   ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-04-27 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: michaelsbradleyjr; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

And by the way, for what it's worth, Emacs's kill ring and the Mac OS
X clipboard are not synchronized by default (at least for the terminal
version of emacs).  That is an option that has to be enabled
somewhere.  So that's probably the issue here.

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-04-28  2:59 ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2012-04-28  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 26, 12:38 am, michaelsbradle...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm running the latest pretest from the "Emacs For Mac OS X" website (Emacs-pretest-24.0.95-universal-10.6.8.dmg) on Mac OS version 10.7.
>
> If I launch Emacs in a standalone fashion (i.e. double-click on Emacs.app), the editor's kill ring and the OS's clipboard "communicate" with each other such that I can copy/paste back and forth between Emacs and other applications.
>
> However, if I launch Emacs in --daemon mode and then fire up `emacsclient -c`, I find that the client's kill ring does not "communicate" with the OS's clipboard, and it's seemingly impossible to copy/paste between Emacs and other applications. A workaround is to use some intermediate text file, which I have open in say Emacs and TextEdit, but obviously that's not a great solution.
>
> I'm hunting for a fix to this problem (if one exists) but am coming up short with google searches, et al.
>
> Thanks for your help.

No idea about mac or the discrepancy between standalone and daemon-
client emacs.

Still you might want to look at the value of the variable x-select-
enable-clipboard