all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Adding bracket tags to sgml-mode
@ 2012-06-19  2:50 Chris Hardee
From: Chris Hardee @ 2012-06-19  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm working with a CMS system that uses custom bracket tags, ie
{example}...*html stuff*...{/example}; unfortunately, sgml-mode
doesn't recognize them and doesn't indent properly. I'm wondering if
there is a simple way to extend sgml-mode to include these tags or if
I need to create a separate mode. Any way to point me in the right
direction would be appreciated, thanks!

(I tried nxml-mode, but it's a bit clunky and overkill for what I'm
hoping to do. I'll go with it if it's the only practical option
though)

--
Chris Hardee
10BitWorks

* Re: Adding bracket tags to sgml-mode
@ 2012-06-19  5:47 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2012-06-19  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/18/12 8:50 PM, Chris Hardee wrote:
> I'm working with a CMS system that uses custom bracket tags, ie
> {example}...*html stuff*...{/example}; unfortunately, sgml-mode
> doesn't recognize them and doesn't indent properly. I'm wondering if
> there is a simple way to extend sgml-mode to include these tags or if
> I need to create a separate mode. Any way to point me in the right
> direction would be appreciated, thanks!

If you put point immediately before < and > in sgml-mode, what does
`C-u C-x =' report in the *Help* buffer?

Compare that to the information when point is immediately before { and }.

If sgml-mode uses syntax categories to parse tags, then perhaps you can
customize it to treat { and } like < and >.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Adding bracket tags to sgml-mode
@ 2012-06-19  6:24 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2012-06-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Am 19.06.2012 04:50, schrieb Chris Hardee:
> I'm working with a CMS system that uses custom bracket tags, ie
> {example}...*html stuff*...{/example}; unfortunately, sgml-mode
> doesn't recognize them and doesn't indent properly. I'm wondering if
> there is a simple way to extend sgml-mode to include these tags or if
> I need to create a separate mode. Any way to point me in the right
> direction would be appreciated, thanks!
>
> (I tried nxml-mode, but it's a bit clunky and overkill for what I'm
> hoping to do. I'll go with it if it's the only practical option
> though)

thing-at-point-utils.el

from

http://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

probably is overkill too :)

it comes with stuff dealing with brackets - and a lot of more things like that.

try ar-bracketed-TAB

unfortunately several files are required from that repo

Cheers,

Andreas