all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* OS/X emacs now defaults to variable width font
@ 2013-06-12 15:29 Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2013-06-12 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs

Hi,

I've googled and googled and googled and all I find are either things that are
too complicated to figure out or else I wind up with fonts wherein 80 columns
takes up half of my 21 inch screen.  Actually, some "proggy" thing worked
mostly okay, except for the fact that 8 character tabs really only
used 6 columns.
So emacs knew which column I was in, but my eyeballs did not.  I just
want some sane font like, say, courier but asking emacs for that is beyond
my abilities.  It really ought not be this difficult.  Why not just a
nice simple
menu with the "quick brown fox" sample next to it and allowing me to set it
as the default?  That would be really easy.....

Thank you!  - Bruce

* Re: OS/X emacs now defaults to variable width font
@ 2013-06-12 16:28 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2013-06-12 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: GNU Emacs

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've googled and googled and googled and all I find are either things that are
> too complicated to figure out or else I wind up with fonts wherein 80 columns
> takes up half of my 21 inch screen.  Actually, some "proggy" thing worked
> mostly okay, except for the fact that 8 character tabs really only
> used 6 columns.
> So emacs knew which column I was in, but my eyeballs did not.  I just
> want some sane font like, say, courier but asking emacs for that is beyond
> my abilities.  It really ought not be this difficult.  Why not just a
> nice simple
> menu with the "quick brown fox" sample next to it and allowing me to set it
> as the default?  That would be really easy.....

I'm not able to give you much help but you might try sending a little
more information to the list. Especially emacs version. I've never had
Emacs default to a variable-width font on any system, but it could
also be something in your host OS's settings.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

* Re: OS/X emacs now defaults to variable width font
@ 2013-06-12 17:16   ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2013-06-12 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: GNU Emacs

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've googled and googled and googled and all I find are either things that are
>> too complicated to figure out or else I wind up with fonts wherein 80 columns
>> takes up half of my 21 inch screen.  Actually, some "proggy" thing worked
>> mostly okay, except for the fact that 8 character tabs really only
>> used 6 columns.
>> So emacs knew which column I was in, but my eyeballs did not.  I just
>> want some sane font like, say, courier but asking emacs for that is beyond
>> my abilities.  It really ought not be this difficult.  Why not just a
>> nice simple
>> menu with the "quick brown fox" sample next to it and allowing me to set it
>> as the default?  That would be really easy.....
>
> I'm not able to give you much help but you might try sending a little
> more information to the list. Especially emacs version. I've never had
> Emacs default to a variable-width font on any system, but it could
> also be something in your host OS's settings.

I am certain it is something in my new settings.  It's been working fine on
this box for two years (OS/X Lion).  But then Lion decided it would not
talk to certain IP addresses (a long story, but suffice to say "ping" could
not send packets to some addresses, but would send just fine to others).
So my IT department refreshed it to 10.8.3 (some sort of kitty-cat - I don't
remember).  The emacs version in the "about" box says:

   24.3 (9.0)
   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs
   Copyright (C) 2013

Oh, and "ping" works now.  It was either a driver or a config FUBAR.

Thank you for your help!!

Regards, Bruce

* Re: OS/X emacs now defaults to variable width font
@ 2013-06-12 21:04     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-06-12 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: GNU Emacs

Am 12.06.2013 um 19:16 schrieb Bruce Korb:

> I am certain it is something in my new settings.

I see a similar effect in the X client variants of GNU Emacs 24.1-24.3 and 24.3.50. Dired buffers are using a proportional font, for example. And I am also on Mac OS X.

Since you have access to an "About" menu entry you must be using the NS variant of GNu Emacs. And here I don't see it…

--
Greetings

  Pete

If it dies, it's biology.  If it blows up, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's physics.
			– University washroom sgraffito

* Re: OS/X emacs now defaults to variable width font
@ 2013-06-12 21:17       ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2013-06-12 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: GNU Emacs

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 12.06.2013 um 19:16 schrieb Bruce Korb:
>
>> I am certain it is something in my new settings.
>
> I see a similar effect in the X client variants of GNU Emacs 24.1-24.3
> and 24.3.50. Dired buffers are using a proportional font, for example.
> And I am also on Mac OS X.
>
> Since you have access to an "About" menu entry you must be using
> the NS variant of GNu Emacs. And here I don't see it…

I have no idea.  I am using the one that came with the refresh done by my IT.
I strongly prefer to do fs/kernel development and not be a sys admin.
So I'll take your word for it that I'm using the "NS variant of GNU Emacs".
Meanwhile, I'd be really happy with a normal sized font that spaces tab
characters at a full "ell" instead of 3/4 of one.  But all the
flexibility of fonts
in emacs has made font selection opaque to me.  How do I just get courier?
Thank you!  Regards, Bruce

* Re: OS/X emacs now defaults to variable width font
@ 2013-06-12 21:30         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-06-12 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Korb; +Cc: GNU Emacs

Am 12.06.2013 um 23:17 schrieb Bruce Korb:

> How do I just get courier?

You could start with:

	(setq initial-frame-alist '(
	  (mouse-color		 . "midnightblue")
	  (foreground-color	 . "grey20")
	  (background-color	 . "alice blue")
	  (internal-border-width . 2)
	  (line-spacing		 . 1)
	  (active-alpha		 . 0.875)
	  (inactive-alpha	 . 0.75)
	  (font . "Courier-9")
	  (top . 25) (left . 650) (width . 91) (height . 50)))

	(setq default-frame-alist '(
	  (border-color		 . "#4e3831")
	  (foreground-color	 . "grey10")
	  (background-color	 . "ghost white")
	  (vertical-scroll-bars	 . left)
	  (cursor-color		 . "purple")
	  (cursor-type		 . box)
	  (active-alpha		 . 0.75)
	  (inactive-alpha	 . 0.875)
	  (font . "Courier New-9")
	  (top . 50) (left . 150) (width . 89) (height . 56)))

The important lines are those with font…

--
Greetings

  Pete

They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me.

* Re: OS/X emacs now defaults to variable width font
@ 2013-06-12 22:13           ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2013-06-12 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: GNU Emacs

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 12.06.2013 um 23:17 schrieb Bruce Korb:
>
>> How do I just get courier?
>
> You could start with:

That's a great start!  Thank you.  Tabs take me out to column 8 once again!
(Why would a proggy font only take you out 6 characters with a 8
character tab setting?
Oh, well.)

Cheers - Bruce