all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Building Emacs from git master on macOS Catalina
@ 2019-10-11  0:48 Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2019-10-11  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone,

I recently reinstalled my laptop from scratch, and now I am trying to get
Emacs to build on macOS Catalina, using gnutls library from a local
Homebrew installation from the /opt/brew prefix directory.

To do this I used a shell wrapper around ./configure script with all the
options I'd like to enable:

https://pastebin.com/4kW0bCH0

But then "configure" script runs it fails with a strange error, which I am
not sure how to resolve:

https://pastebin.com/19wwwKMQ

The full output of config.log is this one:

https://pastebin.com/73VK2JrC

and it contains this part for the gnutls failure:

configure:16125: checking for library containing inflateEnd
configure:16156: gcc -o conftest -g3 -O2     conftest.c   >&5
  "_inflateEnd", referenced from:
      _main in conftest-fe181b.o
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)
configure:16156: $? = 1

It looks like this should be using -lz while checking for gnutls
availability, but that feels a bit off.  It means gnutls check depends on
the result of libz check. Is this a bug in the configure script, or
something I am doing wrong?

- Giorgos

* Re: Building Emacs from git master on macOS Catalina
@ 2019-10-11  3:11 ` Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2019-10-11  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgos Keramidas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You probably know this already, but emacs is also available to install via
Homebrew, on macOS Catalina,
in case you want to take the easy way out...

@ 2019-10-11  3:27   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2019-10-11  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Tambuatco; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you Carlo,

It also fails with similar errors, but I'll hunt down a bit more.  I
suspect my
local version of Xcode tools is not correctly installed, and somehow ends up
breaking dynamic linking.

I will report back here, if I find anything on my own.

--

@ 2019-10-11  7:16   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-10-11  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Tambuatco; +Cc: Giorgos Keramidas, help-gnu-emacs

Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:

> You probably know this already, but emacs is also available to install via
> Homebrew, on macOS Catalina,
> in case you want to take the easy way out...

Carlo, could you please have a nightly or may be weekly build setup on
https://emacsformacosx.com/nightly or something similar. Azure provides
tools for free and open source projects.

But but but... not sure how to set it up for MacOS. They probably
err ... certainly don't have Mac in the cloud.

--
Regards,
Pankaj Jangid

* Re: Building Emacs from git master on macOS Catalina
@ 2019-10-11  9:14     ` VanL
From: VanL @ 2019-10-11  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj.jangid@gmail.com> writes:

> But but but... not sure how to set it up for MacOS. They probably
> err ... certainly don't have Mac in the cloud.

There is

 https://www.macstadium.com/

Is Microsoft's azure notion of free and open compatible with Emacs's?

--
© 2019 VanL
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835

* Re: Building Emacs from git master on macOS Catalina
@ 2019-10-11 10:40     ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2019-10-11 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: Carlo Tambuatco, Giorgos Keramidas, help-gnu-emacs

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj.jangid@gmail.com> 작성:

> Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You probably know this already, but emacs is also available to install via
>> Homebrew, on macOS Catalina,
>> in case you want to take the easy way out...
> Carlo, could you please have a nightly or may be weekly build setup on
> https://emacsformacosx.com/nightly or something similar. Azure provides
> tools for free and open source projects.
>
> But but but... not sure how to set it up for MacOS. They probably
> err ... certainly don't have Mac in the cloud.

There’s Travis CI that utilizes MacStadium for macOS CI jobs. Looks like
Homebrew Cask is using them for testing and the emacs-mac tap
railwaycat/emacsmacport uses them for building Emacs. Here’s the
.travis.yml file:
https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport/blob/master/.travis.yml