all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Git history is fractured for documentation files
@ 2015-08-19 21:00 Gavin Smith
From: Gavin Smith @ 2015-08-19 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was researching the history of some Emacs documentation files. I got
back as far as

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/doc/emacs/emacs.texi?ofs=200

which ends with the entry

2007-09-06 Move here from ../../man

which is

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/doc/emacs/emacs.texi?id=8cf51b2c2f18417403f27fdc215f369af887d89b

How would I go back further in time than this to find the previous
revision of the file? I'm sure that revisions earlier than September
2007 are recorded. Doesn't git have some way of deducing when a file
has been renamed?

* Re: Git history is fractured for documentation files
@ 2015-08-21  2:33 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-08-21  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gavin Smith <gavinsmith0123@gmail.com> writes:

> I was researching the history of some Emacs documentation
> files. I got back as far as
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/doc/emacs/emacs.texi?ofs=200
>
> which ends with the entry
>
> 2007-09-06 Move here from ../../man
>
> which is
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/doc/emacs/emacs.texi?id=8cf51b2c2f18417403f27fdc215f369af887d89b
>
> How would I go back further in time than this to find the
> previous revision of the file? I'm sure that revisions earlier
> than September 2007 are recorded. Doesn't git have some way of
> deducing when a file has been renamed?

Is the --follow option to `git log` what you're after? The git-log
man page says:

    "--follow
         Continue listing the history of a file beyond renames
         (works only for a single file)."

Alexis.