Neither gconftool-2 --set "/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility" --type bool false (which, as I understand it, should disable all accessibility support), nor gconftool-2 --set "/desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-dbus" --type bool false had any effect (perhaps they only matter for a desktop session setup?). Then I found http://askubuntu.com/questions/227515/terminal-warning-when-opening-a-file-in-gedit and I have now added export NO_AT_BRIDGE=1 to my .profile to avoid the startup warning. 1 message down, 1 to go :-) On 22 August 2013 12:22, wrote: > Tim Van Holder writes: > > > I typically run emacs via a ssh (PuTTY) session, using the > > Cygwin X server. > > Emacs was built from sources (24.3 release tarball), with GTK2 > > auto-selected as X toolkit (even though it apparently uses GTK3). > > > > Starting emacs (-Q or otherwise), results in: > > > > ** (emacs:): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: > > Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-OfJcFmA1Hb: Connection > > refused > > > > Given that I explicitly disabled DBus stuff (to avoid dbus-launch > > processes that would prevent a clean ssh exit) when building emacs, > > this > > is already a bit odd. There is no such entry in /tmp (in fact there > > are > > no /tmp/dbus-* files at all), nor is there any envvar containing > > OfJcFmA1Hb. > > That's not because of Emacs and its D-Bus integration. Linked GTK try to > connect to at-spi (Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface). > > Check your Gnome configuration how to disable it. I suspect you must > disable /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-dbus, but I don't know it for > sure. You might check your settings with > > # gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-dbus > > Best regards, Michael. >