all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ^L printed when resizing Emacs split window using ksh93
@ 2020-03-21  5:32 Nicholas Papadonis
From: Nicholas Papadonis @ 2020-03-21  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Korn Shell

I have attached a screen shot of the issue.  The issue occurs when Emacs is
in split window mode, X session and M-x shell is invoked.  The shell is
ksh93.

Screenshot of issue:
http://nickpapadonis.com/images-share/emacs-ksh-0.png

PS2 is printed multiple times during the resize.  When entered is pressed
after the resize, multiple ^L s are displayed.  I set PS2="" and the
brackets are omitted, however ^L still remain after pressing enter.

Is this a known issue?  I have CC'd KSH list in case the problem is on the
ksh93 side.

Thanks

Emacs 26.1 build 2.

1 [debian:~]$ echo $0
-ksh93
2 [debian:~]$ ksh93 --version
  version         sh (AT&T Research) 93u+ 2012-08-01
3 [debian:~]$ echo ${.sh.version}
Version AJM 93u+ 2012-08-01

* Re: ^L printed when resizing Emacs split window using ksh93
@ 2020-04-08 14:33 ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2020-04-08 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Papadonis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Korn Shell

Hello Nicholas,

Nicholas Papadonis <nick.papadonis.ml@gmail.com> writes:

> PS2 is printed multiple times during the resize.  When entered is pressed
> after the resize, multiple ^L s are displayed.  I set PS2="" and the
> brackets are omitted, however ^L still remain after pressing enter.
> Is this a known issue?

I /can/ reproduce this.  Have you reported this using ‘report-emacs-bug’
to make sure someone makes a through investigation?

--
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
<http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ^L printed when resizing Emacs split window using ksh93
@ 2020-04-20 14:45   ` Nicholas Papadonis
From: Nicholas Papadonis @ 2020-04-20 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro, Korn Shell

Comments

> On Apr 8, 2020, at 10:33 AM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <oitofelix@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Nicholas,
>
> Nicholas Papadonis <nick.papadonis.ml@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> PS2 is printed multiple times during the resize.  When entered is pressed
>> after the resize, multiple ^L s are displayed.  I set PS2="" and the
>> brackets are omitted, however ^L still remain after pressing enter.
>> Is this a known issue?
>
> I /can/ reproduce this.  Have you reported this using ‘report-emacs-bug’
> to make sure someone makes a through investigation?

I notice is the PS2 prompt that is displayed when resizing the window.  Is ^L not the control character to clear the screen?

I export PS2=“” and ^L is still present on the input line after resizing.

Does anyone know where to start debugging this?

Thanks

* Re: ^L printed when resizing Emacs split window using ksh93
@ 2020-04-20 16:08     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-04-20 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Nicholas Papadonis <nick.papadonis.ml@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 10:45:18 -0400
> Cc: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <oitofelix@gnu.org>,
>  Korn Shell <korn-shell@googlegroups.com>
>
> Does anyone know where to start debugging this?

I don't understand: you've reported this to the Emacs bug tracker, and
someone provided an answer:

  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40589#8

This is a known issue, and we have already debugged it in the past.