all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* new flymake bug: error in process sentinel: Invalid function: flymake-log
@ 2017-10-19 18:50 Yuta Yamada
From: Yuta Yamada @ 2017-10-19 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sorry if I'm not conforming right place (I saw this
https://github.com/nicferrier/emacs-contributor-guide#testing, so I thought
it's ok to discuss new flymake's bug)

How to reproduce:
1. open emacs with -Q option
2. on scratch buffer, invoke M-x flymake-mode
3. C-x 3, and then C-x b return (switched message buffer)
4. edit something on scratch buffer
5. and then immediately switch to another buffer (I used C-x o and then
switch message buffer by opend at 3)
6. got `error in process sentinel: Invalid function: flymake-log` on
message buffer

Thanks
Yuta Yamada

* Re: new flymake bug: error in process sentinel: Invalid function: flymake-log
@ 2017-10-20  0:13 ` João Távora
From: João Távora @ 2017-10-20  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuta Yamada; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yuta Yamada <sleepboy.zzz@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry if I'm not conforming right place (I saw this https://github.com/nicferrier/emacs-contributor-guide#testing,
> so I thought it's ok to discuss new flymake's bug)
>
> How to reproduce:
> 1. open emacs with -Q option
> 2. on scratch buffer, invoke M-x flymake-mode
> 3. C-x 3, and then C-x b return (switched message buffer)
> 4. edit something on scratch buffer
> 5. and then immediately switch to another buffer (I used C-x o and then switch message buffer by opend at 3)
> 6. got `error in process sentinel: Invalid function: flymake-log` on
> message buffer

I can't reproduce it. flymake-log is a(n autoloaded) lisp macro, not a
function, and it's only invoked in the elisp-flymake-byte-compile
backend's sentinel in elisp-mode.el that sentinel detects an obsolete
check (BTW your report is still helpful because it shows a case where
that detection was a false positive)

How did you compile your emacs-26? The error you get could be caused by
the fact that the autoload didn't kick in when it should, but it's also
a bit confusing to me how it should work at all since it's a macro (that
expands to flymake--log-1) and elisp-mode.el is preloaded. Comment from
more knowledgeable folk is welcome at this point.

I've just pushed a fix the false detection problem in the emacs-26
branch. The fix will (perhaps unfortunately) shoosh your error as well,
so take note of the git HEAD you were in, and try to "make bootstrap".

João

* Re: new flymake bug: error in process sentinel: Invalid function: flymake-log
@ 2017-10-20  2:45   ` Yuta Yamada
From: Yuta Yamada @ 2017-10-20  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Távora; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I can't reproduce it. flymake-log is a(n autoloaded) lisp macro, not a
> function, and it's only invoked in the elisp-flymake-byte-compile
> backend's sentinel in elisp-mode.el that sentinel detects an obsolete
> check (BTW your report is still helpful because it shows a case where
> that detection was a false positive)
> How did you compile your emacs-26?

I'm sorry, I was checking on master, not emacs-26 branch and
testing branch on emacs-26 without your fixing commit couldn't reproduce
the bug by myself. So please ignore my bug conformation. (you fixed another
bug was great though)

Also I must admit that I didn't use the `make bootstrap" to compile emacs

I was using below script:
---
git reset --hard HEAD
git clean -xdf
git pull git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

./autogen.sh all
./configure \
  CFLAGS='-O2' \
  --with-dbus -without-toolkit-scroll-bars \
  --with-xim --without-makeinfo --with-modules \
  --with-x-toolkit=lucid

make
---

I've just pushed a fix the false detection problem in the emacs-26
> branch. The fix will (perhaps unfortunately) shoosh your error as well,
> so take note of the git HEAD you were in, and try to "make bootstrap".

Sorry, I just did git pull things without thinking, but I built emacs
around Oct 16 as
fa as remember (before I submit new flymake's feature request on devel) in
case if you care.

Yuta Yamada

@ 2017-10-20 12:42 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-10-20 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> 6. got `error in process sentinel: Invalid function: flymake-log` on
> message buffer

This is a miscompilation which probably happened because of missing
dependency information (which using "make bootstrap" would have
circumvented).  Just do:

    (cd lisp; make autoloads)
and
    rm lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode.elc; make