all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* about global-set-key
@ 2012-08-31 23:12 etienne mann
From: etienne mann @ 2012-08-31 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

1) I am struggeling with my .emacs file: I want that when I press "_" emacs
write "_{ }".
So I write this in my .emacs file

(defun souligne () (interactive)
         (insert "_{}") (forward-char -1))
(global-set-key "_" 'souligne)

It does not work. What is strange is that if I put
(defun souligne () (interactive)
         (insert "_{}") (forward-char -1))
(global-set-key "z" 'souligne)
when I press "z", emacs write "_{}" !!!

So in emacs, I try to M-x global-unset-key then _ but it does not work in
emacs. the button _ still works !!!

I also wanted to press ^ and get ^{} and press $ and have $ $ but it not
works !

Notice that for ( ) or {} it works fine

2) my second question is about an historical file and menu.Is it possible
that emacs have a menu with the last 10 files that I opened ?

If you can help me, I would be very happy
thx
Etienne

* Re: about global-set-key
@ 2012-09-01  0:20 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-09-01  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

etienne mann <etienne.mann@gmail.com> writes:

Hello,

> 1) I am struggeling with my .emacs file: I want that when I press "_"
> emacs write "_{ }".
> So I write this in my .emacs file
>
> (defun souligne () (interactive)
>          (insert "_{}") (forward-char -1))
> (global-set-key "_" 'souligne)
>
> It does not work. What is strange is that if I put
> (defun souligne () (interactive)
>          (insert "_{}") (forward-char -1))
> (global-set-key "z" 'souligne)
> when I press "z", emacs write "_{}" !!!
>
> So in emacs, I try to M-x global-unset-key then _ but it does not work
> in emacs. the button _ still works !!!
>
> I also wanted to press ^ and get ^{} and press $ and have $ $ but it
> not works !
>
> Notice that for ( ) or {} it works fine
>
> 2) my second question is about an historical file and menu.Is it
> possible that emacs have a menu with the last 10 files that I opened ?

Just a curiosity - I'm currently writing an Emacs mode for the
PicoLisp-Wiki that requires exactly this syntax:

,----
| _{}
| ^{}
| !{}
`----

(and quite a few others ...)

Are we, just by casuality, working on the same thing without being
aware of it?

My mode is almost done and lets you insert and fontificate these
constructs. I only need to add a few commands. I probably publish a Beta
version this weekend on Github, will announce it here on the list.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: about global-set-key
@ 2012-09-01  3:54   ` David Young
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7893.1346482862.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Young @ 2012-09-01  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I tried this with skeleton, and got similar problems.  I cannot trigger the
abbrev with _ character even it do listed in the abbrev list.

But when I bound the abbrev to character i, it works fine.

(define-skeleton underscore
  "when I type _, Emacs writes _{}"
  ""
  "_{}"
)

(define-abbrev org-mode-abbrev-table "_" "" 'underscore)

(define-abbrev org-mode-abbrev-table "i"  "" 'underscore)

(org-mode-abbrev-table)

"1exp"         3    ""                       1exp
"1prop"        4    ""                       1prop
"1src"         6    ""                       1src
"6W"           1    ""                       6W
"^"            0    ""                       carrot
"_"            0    ""                       underscore
"bexp"         11   "BEGIN_EXAMPLE"
"eexp"         10   "END_EXAMPLE"
"i"            3    ""                       underscore
"iexp"         10   ""                       1exp
"ihtml"        1    ""                       insert-emacser-code
"iprop"        0    ""                       1prop
"isrc"         8    ""                       1src

--
M-x Thinks

* Re: about global-set-key
       [not found] <mailman.7891.1346455860.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-09-01 13:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-09-01 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (global-set-key "_" 'souligne)
> It does not work. What is strange is that if I put
> (global-set-key "z" 'souligne)
> when I press "z", emacs write "_{}" !!!

What does C-h k _ tell you?  Can it be you're using a major mode which
already redefines the _ key to something else (hence the global-set-key
doesn't have any effect there)?

> 2) my second question is about an historical file and menu.Is it possible
> that emacs have a menu with the last 10 files that I opened ?

Have you tried recentf-mode?

* Re: about global-set-key
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7893.1346482862.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-09-01 13:19     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-09-01 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I tried this with skeleton, and got similar problems.  I cannot trigger the
> abbrev with _ character even it do listed in the abbrev list.

_ is not a char with word-syntax, so you'll need to use an abbrev-table
where you've provided a :regexp argument that explains which chars can
be considered.

* Re: about global-set-key
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7893.1346482862.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-09-11  8:15   ` etienne
From: etienne @ 2012-09-11  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Dear Thorsten,

I am not working on your stuff. I am only an emacs user :)

thx
Etienne

* Re: about global-set-key
@ 2012-09-11  8:21       ` etienne
From: etienne @ 2012-09-11  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Dear Stephan,

thank you for your reply,
The answer of emacs to C-h k _ is
*
runs the command souligne, which is an interactive Lisp function in
`init.el'.
It is bound to _.

(souligne)

Not documented.*
Recall that in my .emacs file I have

@ 2012-09-11  8:30   ` etienne
From: etienne @ 2012-09-11  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Dear Stefan,

you must be right because when I press _ on a standard file (like the
tutorial) then it write _{} as I expect but this not work in a latex file
because I you said I use an other mode.
What should be I do to use this shortcut ?

Here is the line of my .emacs file about latex and auctex

(setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
(require 'reftex)
(setq TeX-PDF-mode nil) ; remove pdflatex by defaut
(setq LaTeX-math-mode t) ; set Latex-math-mode

* Re: about global-set-key
@ 2012-09-11  8:59   ` etienne
From: etienne @ 2012-09-11  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Dear Stefan,

Finally I resolve my problem reading this page
http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/reclaim_keybindings.html
http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/reclaim_keybindings.html

Here is my new .emacs

*(defun parentheses () (interactive) (insert "()") (forward-char -1))
(defun modemath () (interactive)(insert "$$") (forward-char -1))
(defun souligne () (interactive)(insert "_{}") (forward-char -1))
(defun puissance () (interactive)(insert "^{}") (forward-char -1))

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
 (define-key  LaTeX-mode-map (kbd "(") 'parentheses)
 (define-key  LaTeX-mode-map (kbd "$") 'modemath)
 (define-key  LaTeX-mode-map (kbd "_") 'souligne)
 (define-key  LaTeX-mode-map (kbd "^") 'puissance)
)
)
*

Thank you very much for your hints

Etienne

* Re: about global-set-key
@ 2012-09-11  9:21     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-09-11  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: etienne; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.09.2012 um 10:30 schrieb etienne:

> What should be I do to use this shortcut ?

Put it in TeX-mode-map! Then it won't be available outside of AUCTeX.

--
Greetings

             ~  O
             ~  O  o