all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dir-locals confusion
@ 2012-08-07 15:07 Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-08-07 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Recently (possibly with an upgrade to emacs 24.1.1) I'm frequently getting this message:
    Error reading dir-locals: (file-error "Opening input file" "not a directory" "/cygdrive/q/.../tlock.c/.dir-locals.el")

I see this frequently (but not always) under Cygwin and never under AIX 6.1.

I do, of course, hack emacs, but I can't think of anything I've done that might have to do with dir-locals. Except for X configuration, I use exactly the same code on AIX and Cygwin.

Since the obvious question is too vague, I'll simply ask this:
    Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thanks.

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: testing is the treatment. - - K. Beck

* Re: dir-locals confusion
@ 2012-08-07 15:49 ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2012-08-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com>
wrote:

> Recently (possibly with an upgrade to emacs 24.1.1) I'm frequently getting
>     Error reading dir-locals: (file-error "Opening input file" "not a
> directory" "/cygdrive/q/.../tlock.c/.dir-locals.el")
>
> I see this frequently (but not always) under Cygwin and never under AIX
> 6.1.
>
> I do, of course, hack emacs, but I can't think of anything I've done that
> might have to do with dir-locals. Except for X configuration, I use exactly
> the same code on AIX and Cygwin.
>
> Since the obvious question is too vague, I'll simply ask this:
>     Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

What's `default-directory' when this happens?  My guess would be
"/cygdrive/q/.../tlock.c/", though I don't know how that would happen
if it's not a directory.

-PJ

Gehm's Corollary to Clark's Law: Any technology distinguishable from
magic is insufficiently advanced.

* Re: dir-locals confusion
@ 2012-08-08  6:43 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-08-08  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com> writes:

> Recently (possibly with an upgrade to emacs 24.1.1) I'm frequently getting this message:
>     Error reading dir-locals: (file-error "Opening input file" "not a
> directory" "/cygdrive/q/.../tlock.c/.dir-locals.el")
>
> I see this frequently (but not always) under Cygwin and never under AIX 6.1.
>
> I do, of course, hack emacs, but I can't think of anything I've done
> that might have to do with dir-locals. Except for X configuration, I
> use exactly the same code on AIX and Cygwin.
>
> Since the obvious question is too vague, I'll simply ask this:
>     Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Orgmode git tree used to have a .dir-locals.el that was "symlinked" to
.dir-settings.el[1].  I was facing similar errors and was likewise
confused.  So check for symlinks and replace the linked files with
actual physical copies.  The problem would go away.

Footnotes:

[1] I don't find reference to .dir-settings.el in my Emacs info.  It is
possible that .dir-locals.el used to be known as .dir-settings.el.