Git seems to be able to compute new/modified/dropped with quite tolerable efficiency even fir large projects. Are there lessons to be learned there? /john On Feb 7, 2018 3:47 AM, "Dmitry Gutov" wrote: > On 2/7/18 06:26, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > It would be nice to keep the index up-to-date automatically during all >>> that. Many users would expect that, I think. >>> >> >> Then I guess we should ask "etags -u" to do that automatically, >> i.e. for every file name it finds in TAGS to check whether that file >> exists, and if not, remove all its tags from the file. >> > > Maybe with a new option (e.g. 'etags -u --prune'), because it'll likely > take some time. I wonder how much the overhead is going to be. > >