all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Looking for a helper for advanced conflicts resolution.
@ 2020-07-24 11:07 Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2020-07-24 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

To aid in resolution of complex conflicts, I'd like to know if there is
a tool in Emacs that, given diff3-style 3-way conflict output, would
convert it into 2 simple diffs: "mine" changes from common ancestor, and
"yours" changes from common ancestor. Does anybody know about one?

I.e., given:

<<<<<<< A
lines from A
lines from B
=======
lines from C

Produce:

1. diff of "lines from B" and "lines from A"
2. diff of "lines from B" and "lines from C"

For example, I'd like to be able to select the chunk in the buffer, and
call a function that'd create another buffer with these 2 diffs.

Thanks,
-- Sergey

* Re: Looking for a helper for advanced conflicts resolution.
@ 2020-07-24 16:25 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-07-24 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> To aid in resolution of complex conflicts, I'd like to know if there is
> a tool in Emacs that, given diff3-style 3-way conflict output, would
> convert it into 2 simple diffs: "mine" changes from common ancestor, and
> "yours" changes from common ancestor. Does anybody know about one?

Doesn't "smerge" do that (`smerge-diff-base-upper',
`smerge-diff-base-lower', `smerge-diff-upper-lower')?

I'm using Ediff.  AFAIR Ediff can't do the analogue out of the box when
merging, but it's not hard to implement.

Michael.

* Re: Looking for a helper for advanced conflicts resolution.
@ 2020-07-24 18:15   ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2020-07-24 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> To aid in resolution of complex conflicts, I'd like to know if there is
>> a tool in Emacs that, given diff3-style 3-way conflict output, would
>> convert it into 2 simple diffs: "mine" changes from common ancestor, and
>> "yours" changes from common ancestor. Does anybody know about one?
>
> Doesn't "smerge" do that (`smerge-diff-base-upper',
> `smerge-diff-base-lower', `smerge-diff-upper-lower')?

Dunno, will try it, thanks for pointing!

> I'm using Ediff.  AFAIR Ediff can't do the analogue out of the box when
> merging, but it's not hard to implement.

Yeah, that was my first candidate, and I've tried to invoke it from
magit, but it doesn't seem indeed to have the feature. Implementing it
probably is not a big deal indeed, with or without ediff, I just hope to
find something ready.

@ 2020-07-24 19:06   ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2020-07-24 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 23:27, Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:
> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:
> > To aid in resolution of complex conflicts, I'd like to know if there is
> > a tool in Emacs that, given diff3-style 3-way conflict output, would
> > convert it into 2 simple diffs: "mine" changes from common ancestor, and
> > "yours" changes from common ancestor. Does anybody know about one?
>
> Doesn't "smerge" do that (`smerge-diff-base-upper',
> `smerge-diff-base-lower', `smerge-diff-upper-lower')?

+1 to smerge. In the majority of complex conflicts I face, I can
toggle ‘smerge-refine’ a couple times, choose one side that has the
easier diff, and manually apply it to the other side. I don’t even
have to see the 2-way diffs.

* Re: Looking for a helper for advanced conflicts resolution.
@ 2020-07-24 19:08     ` wgreenhouse
From: wgreenhouse @ 2020-07-24 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
>> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> To aid in resolution of complex conflicts, I'd like to know if there is
>>> a tool in Emacs that, given diff3-style 3-way conflict output, would
>>> convert it into 2 simple diffs: "mine" changes from common ancestor, and
>>> "yours" changes from common ancestor. Does anybody know about one?
>>
>> Doesn't "smerge" do that (`smerge-diff-base-upper',
>> `smerge-diff-base-lower', `smerge-diff-upper-lower')?
>
> Dunno, will try it, thanks for pointing!
>
>> I'm using Ediff.  AFAIR Ediff can't do the analogue out of the box when
>> merging, but it's not hard to implement.
>
> Yeah, that was my first candidate, and I've tried to invoke it from
> magit, but it doesn't seem indeed to have the feature. Implementing it
> probably is not a big deal indeed, with or without ediff, I just hope to
> find something ready.

There is `smerge-ediff'.

* Re: Looking for a helper for advanced conflicts resolution.
@ 2020-07-24 19:48     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-07-24 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Organov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:

> Yeah, that was my first candidate, and I've tried to invoke it from
> magit, but it doesn't seem indeed to have the feature. Implementing it
> probably is not a big deal indeed [...]

I did implement that but haven't yet packaged it.  When you have an
ediff3 to merge, basically, all you have to do is to add bindings to
`ediff-mode-map' that call `ediff-buffers' with two of the buffers (from
`ediff-buffer-A', `ediff-buffer-B', `ediff-buffer-C',
`ediff-ancestor-buffer').  One problem is that the highlighting of the
current Ediff session gets in the way; one has to remove and later
restore it.  Another problem is that you want to be automatically guided
to the current thunk, so you have to care about this as well.  But all
of that is easy achieve.

Michael.

* Re: Looking for a helper for advanced conflicts resolution.
@ 2020-07-24 19:49     ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2020-07-24 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 23:27, Michael Heerdegen
> <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:
>> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:
>> > To aid in resolution of complex conflicts, I'd like to know if there is
>> > a tool in Emacs that, given diff3-style 3-way conflict output, would
>> > convert it into 2 simple diffs: "mine" changes from common ancestor, and
>> > "yours" changes from common ancestor. Does anybody know about one?
>>
>> Doesn't "smerge" do that (`smerge-diff-base-upper',
>> `smerge-diff-base-lower', `smerge-diff-upper-lower')?
>
> +1 to smerge. In the majority of complex conflicts I face, I can
> toggle ‘smerge-refine’ a couple times, choose one side that has the
> easier diff, and manually apply it to the other side. I don’t even
> have to see the 2-way diffs.

Thanks for the tip! I now can't even believe I didn't look as smerge
myself, even though I was aware it exists!

@ 2020-07-24 19:56       ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2020-07-24 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Yeah, that was my first candidate, and I've tried to invoke it from
>> magit, but it doesn't seem indeed to have the feature. Implementing it
>> probably is not a big deal indeed [...]
>
> I did implement that but haven't yet packaged it.

Thanks for letting know it's coming! Exactly as it should be for
Swiss-army knife of merging and diffing.

@ 2020-07-24 22:29         ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-07-24 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Organov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:

> > I did implement that but haven't yet packaged it.
>
> Thanks for letting know it's coming! Exactly as it should be for
> Swiss-army knife of merging and diffing.

Don't expect that it appears soon, however.  I can send something
privately all the time.  But I don't like how Ediff is coded, and it's
not fun for me to hack it and provide something "official".  But if I
can't make it in this life, then ehm... what came after that again?

Michael.

* Re: Looking for a helper for advanced conflicts resolution.
@ 2020-07-25 11:37           ` John Yates
From: John Yates @ 2020-07-25 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 6:29 PM Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> But I don't like how Ediff is coded

+1

/john