On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Stephen Leake > > Cc: Dmitry Gutov , emacs-devel@gnu.org > > Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:19:45 -0600 > > > > > Cross-Referencing doesn't fit, IMO, not if you consider the user-level > > > functionality. > > > > "Cross-reference" was certainly the initial intent of the xref package. > > > > If that name no longer fits, it means there is functionality in > > xref that doesn't belong there. > > I don't think the decisions on what does and doesn't belong should be > based on names. FWIW, I don't see in xref.el anything that doesn't > belong there. > My sense is that xref (and tags before it) suggests existence of an index and that xref- operations are then driven by that index. Not by taking entries out of that index and extracting file paths. That is the role of project. Project supplies only a set of files. After that regex-based algorithms seem entirely expected.