It sounds strange. For me, this problem never happened on obscure then re-expose windows. On the other hand, tmpfs should not be the reason either. The modified mark fail to update at everywhere *except* for files in the home directory or subdirectories of $HOME. For example, I tried /tmp, /var/tmp, a file outside $HOME (while have edit permission), and use root to edit a file at /. At all those positions I had this problem. Best wishes, Yi On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 17:51:26 +0900 > > From: Yi Wang > > Cc: Yi Wang > > > > If I set frame-title as: > > > > (setq frame-title-format "%b %* ") > > > > The modified mark * will display correctly for normal files. But for > files > > in /tmp (where tmpfs is enabled), the modified mark almost never appears > > (though actually buffer is modified). > > Does this happen only for tmpfs volumes? > > If you obscure the frame with some other window of another > application, and then re-expose it again, does the modification > indication gets updated? >