I don't understand why the discussion devolved to the merits of cargo. The original proposal for the builder package would be useful as a general feature to work with any build system. If I have a build system X I wrote myself which fulfills all the gnu ethical requirements, it would allow me to have a convenient generic way to interact with it through compile and the build systems cli. If that is the case I don't see the harm in having a general way to suggest completions for compile based on project basis. With Regards Yilkal Argaw On Mon, Jun 5, 2023 at 12:07 PM Po Lu wrote: > Gregory Heytings writes: > > > No, that's not what we are discussing. Once again, "what is being > > discussed (and was objected to and characterized as a "horror") in > > this subthread is the fact that all versions of a library are > > available at compile time, to ensure that programs that depend on a > > given version of that library can still be built when later, possibly > > incompatible, versions of the library have been released." > > > > You now conveniently try to shift the focus on "the language". > > Since different versions of various libraries require different versions > of the language, it is a very relevant subject. > > > That's abstract theory (and it ignores the fact that even the > > "Standard C" language evolves: C23 will be released in a few months). > > Standard C evolves, yet it takes pains to remain compatible with > previously written code. Very few programs require anything newer than > C99. > > > In practice, Emacs 27, released less than three years ago, cannot be > > compiled anymore without a patch. > > Except that it can be compiled with a single update to Gnulib, a > procedure that everyone knows how to perform. > >