all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* org emphasis everywhere and also filling
@ 2024-06-21  0:53 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2024-06-21  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

been wondering this.  i like /org emphasis/ in non-org files, so i have a
kludgey font lock for it that i put on prog mode hook, text mode hook etc.

it seems by default org comments turn off emphasis.  probably org does so
in other places too.  my preference is opposite.  my kludge fixes that i
think.

however, filling is an issue for emphasis where there are comments
anywhere, and possible where there is any fill prefix.

;; consider a .el file
;; /one big long line longer than fill colunm
;; makes jack a dull boy/

will emphasize the comment markers, and if indented idk maybe that too
depending on the face settings.  to me that is ugly and misleading.  e.g.
you wouldn't be able to as easily do a text search on the filled text, and
the comment markers would look better in comment marker face.

so i am wondering if there is a right way to do this, to at least turn off
font locking for comment chars, and probably whitespace, caused by filling.

it might be reasonable to make anything emphasized be considered a single
word for filling purposes, but that might look ugly too.  can be quite long.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2024-06-21  0:53 UTC | newest]