all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
To: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: ediff refinement issues
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 21:46:13 -0700	[thread overview]

On 11/26/11, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>>   1) When there are only whitespace differences in normal
>>      paragraphs, such as by refilling, ediff works well.  It
>>      says there are only whitespace differences and does not
>>      highlight any words.
>>
>>      However, if the paragraphs are commented (for example,
>>      with ;;; in elisp or # in shell), it highlights the ;;;
>>      or the #.  it also sometimes highlights words as a side
>>      effect.
>
> I don't see that.  Maybe give a concrete example.  What I see is that
> whitespace
> is either ignored everywhere or it is not ignored at all (toggle this with
> `##').

you are confusing different features.  take a commented paragraph with
a few long lines, save it to a.  fill it.  save it to b.  now do diff
mode on it and also ediff on it.

you should notice that diff mode correctly notices tht the only
non-whitgespaceish ifference is the comment prefix.  ediff thinks
words changed.