all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell mode \ construct should or should not work with comments?
@ 2021-01-12 23:33 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-01-12 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i want to do

  echo hi \
           there \
           # big \
           guy

but bash does not recognize such comments.  would be great if it could.

but in emacs land, shell mode in emacs 25, does think that \ at eol in
comments is significant wrt indentation.  shouldn't it follow bash?

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: shell mode \ construct should or should not work with comments?
@ 2021-01-12 23:46 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-01-12 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[i ack that my wish that bash would support comments after
\-terminated lines might or might not be impossible as exemplified in
it might or might not require new syntax.]