all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Chracters not unified with Unicode -- any example?
@ 2014-06-10 11:55 Mikhail Gusarov
From: Mikhail Gusarov @ 2014-06-10 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

Are there defined Emacs characters in range 0x110000-0x3fff7f
(beyond Unicode codepoints, but before eight-bit raw bytes)?

I looked at various map files in etc and hadn't found any non-Unicode
codepoints there. Documentation refers to this range as "characters that are
not unified with Unicode", but does not give any examples.

Best regards,
Mikhail Gusarov.

* Chracters not unified with Unicode -- any example?
@ 2014-06-10 12:13 Mikhail Gusarov
From: Mikhail Gusarov @ 2014-06-10 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

Are there defined Emacs characters in range 0x110000-0x3fff7f
(beyond Unicode codepoints, but before eight-bit raw bytes)?

I looked at various map files in etc and hadn't found any non-Unicode
codepoints there. Documentation refers to this range as "characters that are
not unified with Unicode", but does not give any examples.

P.S: kindly excuse me if this message appears twice in the mailing list.

Best regards,
Mikhail Gusarov.

* Re: Chracters not unified with Unicode -- any example?
@ 2014-06-10 17:40 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-10 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag@dottedmag.net>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 13:55:13 +0200
>
> Are there defined Emacs characters in range 0x110000-0x3fff7f
> (beyond Unicode codepoints, but before eight-bit raw bytes)?

Yes, quite a few.

> I looked at various map files in etc and hadn't found any non-Unicode
> codepoints there. Documentation refers to this range as "characters that are
> not unified with Unicode", but does not give any examples.

You will find them in lisp/international/mule-conf.el.  Look for any
define-charset form which has a :unify-map property.  The :code-offset
property gives the beginning of the codepoint block for each of these
charsets, which tells you where in the 0x110000-0x3fff7f range they
are mapped.

This is an obscure issue, which is of interest to a select few (maybe
just one) of the Emacs hackers, that's why it is never described more
than you found in the documentation.

* Re: Chracters not unified with Unicode -- any example?
@ 2014-06-10 19:20   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-10 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You will find them in lisp/international/mule-conf.el.  Look for any
> define-charset form which has a :unify-map property.  The :code-offset
> property gives the beginning of the codepoint block for each of these
> charsets, which tells you where in the 0x110000-0x3fff7f range they
> are mapped.

> This is an obscure issue, which is of interest to a select few (maybe
> just one) of the Emacs hackers, that's why it is never described more
> than you found in the documentation.

Indeed, if you need to know the details, ask Kenichi Handa.

IIUC Emacs uses some parts of this area to map some (parts of) asian
charsets such as GBnnnn which contain some chars which aren't (yet)
in Unicode.