all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* one line big XML to multiline
@ 2012-07-02 11:16 Mihamina Rakotomandimby
From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby @ 2012-07-02 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I got a big one line XML file.
I want to break the lines to make it more readable.

Replacing "><" with "C-j" then indenting is the most obvious solution,
but would you know a more elegant solution?

I'm using Emacs 23 (FC17) with nXml or sgml-mode usable.

Thank you.

--
RMA.

* Re: one line big XML to multiline
@ 2012-07-02 11:51 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-07-02 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> writes:

Hi,

> I got a big one line XML file.
> I want to break the lines to make it more readable.
>
> Replacing "><" with "C-j" then indenting is the most obvious solution,
> but would you know a more elegant solution?

I'd go with some external tool such as xmllint which comes with libxml.

  $ xmllint --format --output formatted.xml original.xml

should do what you want.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: one line big XML to multiline
       [not found] <mailman.3864.1341227814.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-02 15:13 ` John Bokma
From: John Bokma @ 2012-07-02 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I got a big one line XML file.
> I want to break the lines to make it more readable.
>
> Replacing "><" with "C-j" then indenting is the most obvious solution,
> but would you know a more elegant solution?
>
> I'm using Emacs 23 (FC17) with nXml or sgml-mode usable.
>
> Thank you.

I've used this in the past, with success:

http://blog.bookworm.at/2007/03/pretty-print-xml-with-emacs.html

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/        Perl Consultancy: http://castleamber.com/
Perl for books:    http://johnbokma.com/perl/help-in-exchange-for-books.html

@ 2012-07-03 23:06 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2012-07-03 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 2, 4:16 am, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <miham...@rktmb.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got a big one line XML file.
> I want to break the lines to make it more readable.
>
> Replacing "><" with "C-j" then indenting is the most obvious solution,
> but would you know a more elegant solution?
>
> I'm using Emacs 23 (FC17) with nXml or sgml-mode usable.

you can record a keyboard macro, save it, assign it a key. So, just
press one key, and the file is indented and well-formatted.

〈Emacs: Using Keyboard Macro to Record/Playback Keystrokes〉
http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_macro_example.html

to indent, just select all then 【Ctrl+Alt+\】.

or, this can be easily done by writing a elisp command.

 Xah

* Re: one line big XML to multiline
@ 2012-07-05 22:46   ` Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 2012-07-05 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> I'd go with some external tool such as xmllint which comes with libxml.
>
>   $ xmllint --format --output formatted.xml original.xml
>
> should do what you want.

I prefer `xmlstarlet`[1]. To format a buffer:

    C-x h C-u M-| xml fo RET

[1]: http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/docs.php

--
Matt McClure