all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs sporadically gets into a state in which M-q wraps lines at apostrophes
@ 2012-07-05 16:32 Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 2012-07-05 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My Emacs sporadically gets into a state in which M-q wraps a line with
apostrophes like:

    it's a test
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

as:

    it's a test
      'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

rather than:

    it's a test
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I added the white space indentation added for readability above. It's
not in the actual text.

I'm using: `GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS
apple-appkit-1038.36) of 2012-06-10 on bob.porkrind.org`

I've customized adaptive-fill-regexp, in case it's relevant to:

    "[ 	]*\\([-–!|#%;>*·•‣⁃◦0-9]\\.?+[ 	]*\\)*"

so that lines beginning with a number optionally followed by a `.` will
wrap with a hanging indent.

I notice that the value of adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp is:

    "\\`[ 	]*\\'"

I'm suspicious of its including `'`, but changing its value by
removing the `\\'` doesn't make the text wrap as I expect.

Quitting and restarting Emacs makes the text wrap as I expect again.

I haven't been able to find the relevant difference in Emacs's state
before and after I restart to isolate the issue or prevent M-q from
wrapping at the apostrophe.

Where should I look next?

--
Matt McClure
http://www.matthewlmcclure.com

* Re: Emacs sporadically gets into a state in which M-q wraps lines at apostrophes
       [not found] <mailman.4120.1341505956.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-06  6:16 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2012-07-06  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, 6 July 2012 00:32:21 UTC+8, Matt McClure  wrote:

> I notice that the value of adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp is:
>
>     "\\`[ 	]*\\'"
>
> I'm suspicious of its including `'`, but changing its value by
> removing the `\\'` doesn't make the text wrap as I expect.

\\' is special syntax meaning end of line.

Does some other package that you load at some time during your Emacs session alter adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp or adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp? Perhaps something is stripping one or both \ characters which would result in the ' being interpreted literally by the regexp engine?

* Re: Emacs sporadically gets into a state in which M-q wraps lines at apostrophes
@ 2012-07-06  6:49   ` Christopher Schmidt
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2012-07-06  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> writes:

> \\' is special syntax meaning end of line.

Actually \' matches the empty string at the end of the buffer of string
being matched against.  $ matches end of line or end of string.

        Christopher

* Re: Emacs sporadically gets into a state in which M-q wraps lines at apostrophes
@ 2012-07-06 18:26     ` Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 2012-07-06 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Christopher Schmidt
<christopher@ch.ristopher.com> wrote:
> Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> \\' is special syntax meaning end of line.
>
> Actually \' matches the empty string at the end of the buffer of string
> being matched against.  $ matches end of line or end of string.

Thanks. I had been misinterpreting the `\\'`. This will help next time
it happens.

--

@ 2013-05-14 13:18       ` Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 2013-05-14 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Matt McClure <matthewlmcclure@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Christopher Schmidt
> <christopher@ch.ristopher.com> wrote:
> > Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> \\' is special syntax meaning end of line.
> >
> > Actually \' matches the empty string at the end of the buffer of string
> > being matched against.  $ matches end of line or end of string.
>
> Thanks. I had been misinterpreting the `\\'`. This will help next time
> it happens.

I finally tracked it down. The problem was plantuml-mode, which I use
infrequently, setting comment-start to "'" without making it buffer local.

--
Matt McClure
http://matthewlmcclure.com