See explanation Yuri Khan has made earlier. My package, like said in comment, makes a request for a URL produced by concatenation of shorten-url-base with a URL passed as an argument and inserts data returned in response in current buffer. It's up to web server to produce shortened URL. The idea is that for example https://clck.ru/FHyra may look more nice than http://global.espn.com/football/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/3789639/live-transfer-talk-manchester-uniteds-100m-battle-for-jadon-sancho-with-psg Consider that people you're chatting with may use smartphones and long links would look nasty on small screens. On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 6:00 AM Richard Stallman wrote: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > > > Is the shortened URL expanded locally inside Emacs? > > > Does it refer to a real website? > > > Of course it refers to a real website, the idea is that you can use > > shortened URL in chat so the people you're chatting with could use it > too. > > "what made that choice desirable?" it's working and it suits me well > :/ > > shorten-url-base is customizable. > > Now it is starting to make sense, but it presumes that the shortened > URL is defined on a web server, not just in Emacs. Does your package > set up the definition too? > > That wasn't clear to me when I read the first message. > > -- > Dr Richard Stallman > President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org) > Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org) > > >