all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
@ 2013-02-22 18:17 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2013-02-22 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

@ 2013-02-22 20:00 ` Kalman Reti
From: Kalman Reti @ 2013-02-22 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Kalman Reti, emacs-devel

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> (Is rlogin obsolete?)
>
> --
> Dr Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation
> 51 Franklin St
> Boston MA 02110
> USA
> www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
> Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
>   Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call

* Re: M-x rlogin
@ 2013-02-22 20:05 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-02-22 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Is M-x rlogin obsolete?
> (Is rlogin obsolete?)

I guess rlogin is superseded by ssh almost everywhere. Maybe a few
places are still using rlogin to connect internally between trusted
hosts where encryption is not needed.

Whether rlogin.el is obsolete, I dunno. You can use it with ssh by doing:

emacs -Q --eval '(setq rlogin-program "slogin"
   rlogin-explicit-args (list "-t" "-t"))' -f rlogin

Does this offer anything that M-x shell followed by ssh, or Tramp, doesn't?
Probably not.

* Re: M-x rlogin
@ 2013-02-23 18:57   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2013-02-23 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Whether rlogin.el is obsolete, I dunno. You can use it with ssh by doing:

    emacs -Q --eval '(setq rlogin-program "slogin"
       rlogin-explicit-args (list "-t" "-t"))' -f rlogin

If its main use today would be with ssh, why have it use
rlogin by default?  We should change the default to ssh.
We might also want to rename it to M-x ssh.

(What is the practical difference between slogin and ssh?)

    Does this offer anything that M-x shell followed by ssh, or Tramp, doesn't?

I don't know about the comparison with the former.  Does Tramp
do remote login?