all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there a function for display-buffer-in-biggest-window?
@ 2012-07-06 12:19 Alex Bennee
From: Alex Bennee @ 2012-07-06 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

My work station has a fairly wide monitor on it now so my main work
frame has been split thusly:

--------------
|        |   |
|        |   |
|        |---|
|        |   |
|        |---|
|        |   |
--------------

However I keep having problems with buffers things open in. The bottom
two on the right are "dedicated" ERC windows so it's a choice of the
main window or the top right. For some operations (e.g. man pages) I
want to use the top right, for others (e.g. compilation-goto-error) I
want to use the biggest frame.

The function display-buffer seems to be the all singing dancing
function to use (over pop-to-buffer and switch-to-buffer). However is
there a display-buffer-largest-window or equivalent?

Cheers,

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
http://www.half-llama.co.uk

						 .

* Re: Is there a function for display-buffer-in-biggest-window?
@ 2012-07-06 14:34 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2012-07-06 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-07-06 20:19 +0800, Alex Bennee wrote:
> My work station has a fairly wide monitor on it now so my main work
> frame has been split thusly:
>
> --------------
> |        |   |
> |        |   |
> |        |---|
> |        |   |
> |        |---|
> |        |   |
> --------------

(set-window-buffer (get-largest-window) <YOUR BUFFER>)

--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Is there a function for display-buffer-in-biggest-window?
@ 2012-07-06 15:36   ` Alex Bennee
From: Alex Bennee @ 2012-07-06 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 6 July 2012 15:34, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-07-06 20:19 +0800, Alex Bennee wrote:
>> My work station has a fairly wide monitor on it now so my main work
>> frame has been split thusly:
> <snip>
>
> (set-window-buffer (get-largest-window) <YOUR BUFFER>)

Thanks. I figured emacs must have this somewhere. I was getting lost
in a list of apropos results all subtly different.

Follow-up question. Is there a "proper" way to use this function for
general buffer focus operations or do you need to rely on modes
having customisable buffer switch functions like magit's
magit-status-buffer-switch-function? At the moment I'm looking at
compilation-mode's goto error code and it's less than obvious to me
how the eventual switch happens.