On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Ludwig, Mark wrote: > If you just want it to insert a TAB character every time, just map the key > to self-insert-command. > Yes I gathered that this is the only way (or C-q TAB). Seems fairly low-level for such a basic usage... > Are you familiar with M-i that runs tab-to-tab-stop? That might be what > you want, too, especially if you want spaces inserted to 'equal' what the > TAB character would do on a typewriter, for instance. > > I need tab to be entered as tab without any questions or ambiguity (think makefiles?) > Hope this helps, > > Mark > > From: help-gnu-emacs-bounces+ludwig.mark=siemens.com@gnu.org [mailto: > help-gnu-emacs-bounces+ludwig.mark=siemens.com@gnu.org] On Behalf Of > Rustom Mody > Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:45 AM > To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org > Subject: tab character > > The tab-always-indent docs say: > > ----------------------------- > Controls the operation of the TAB key. > If t, hitting TAB always just indents the current line. > If nil, hitting TAB indents the current line if point is at the left margin > or in the line's indentation, otherwise it inserts a \"real\" TAB > character. > If `complete', TAB first tries to indent the current line, and if the line > was already indented, then try to complete the thing at point. > > Some programming language modes have their own variable to control this, > e.g., `c-tab-always-indent', and do not respect this variable." > :group 'indent > -------------------------------- > Why is there nothing stronger than nil? IOW why is it so hard to just have > tab be tab with no conditions? > > In Miles Bader page on emacswiki http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MilesBader > he has code for a literal-tab-mode. So am I right in guessing that that > is the only approach if one wants tab characters to be entered? >