all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs attach an action to any key pressed
@ 2013-06-05  5:26 Ivanov Dmitry
From: Ivanov Dmitry @ 2013-06-05  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Suppose, I have the code:

(defun dummy ()
      (interactive)
      (message "aaa"))

(local-set-key (kbd "<left>") 'dummy)

When you click <left> key in the current buffer, it will print "aaa".

Is it possible to attach this action to any key pressed?

I looked into "Format of Keymaps" and "Searching Keymaps" in Emacs info
pages, but found no code examples.

* Re: Emacs attach an action to any key pressed
@ 2013-06-05  6:44 ` Magnar Sveen
From: Magnar Sveen @ 2013-06-05  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivanov Dmitry; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sounds like you're looking for the post-command-hook.

- Magnar

@ 2013-06-05  7:56   ` Ivanov Dmitry
From: Ivanov Dmitry @ 2013-06-05  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnar Sveen; +Cc: emacs-devel

I tried this:

(defun dummy ()
      (interactive)
      (message "aaa")
      (remove-hook 'post-command-hook 'dummy))

(add-hook 'post-command-hook 'dummy)

It prints "aaa" exactly after I press C-x e on add-hook command. But I want
it to print only when I press any key afterwards. What should I do?

* Re: Emacs attach an action to any key pressed
@ 2013-06-05 13:02 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-05 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivanov Dmitry; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Is it possible to attach this action to any key pressed?

Maybe you're looking for

  (local-set-key [t] 'dummy)

-- Stefan

* Re: Emacs attach an action to any key pressed
@ 2013-06-05 13:24     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-06-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 6/5/13 1:56 AM, Ivanov Dmitry wrote:
> I tried this:
>
> (defun dummy ()
>        (interactive)
>        (message "aaa")
>        (remove-hook 'post-command-hook 'dummy))
>
> (add-hook 'post-command-hook 'dummy)
>
> It prints "aaa" exactly after I press C-x e on add-hook command. But I want it
> to print only when I press any key afterwards. What should I do?

(when (read-event "Press any key to continue: ")
   (message "aaa"))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Emacs attach an action to any key pressed
@ 2013-06-05 13:48   ` Ivanov Dmitry
From: Ivanov Dmitry @ 2013-06-05 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel